• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

where is this street/road

The earlier picture of the corner of Heath st and Winson Green Rd, with the derelict identical upper-storeyed shops, is also looking the same way. It must have all been the same development and builder.

hi gang
Thats Certainly Heath Street No Question About It
And The Photo Shoot Is Looking Up Heath Street And Its Afew Yards From The Shakespear On The Same Side And Its Looking Up Towards DudleyRd And At The Very Top Of The Street Is Or Should I Now Say The Lee Bridge Taveren , And It The Very Far Distance At The Top You Can See The Old House That Used To Be There On The Corner Of Dudley Rd And Northbrooke Street And At That Junction There Used To Be The 95 Or The 96 Bus Termus From City Centre And Around The City And Up Through
Icknield Port Rd And Turning Down Wiggan St Up Around Nothbrooke St To The Terminus At Dudley Rd In Northbrooke Street There Was A Little CafeWhere The Bus Driver Would Punch Is Clock And Have His Tea Break Before Pulling Off UpThe Dudley Rd And Around The Block Back Down Icknield Port To The City Centre
I Think It Was In The 70.s That They Changed Hands The Cafe Became For Sale
And It Was Turned IntoA Fish And ChipShop , The Owners I Know Very Well Incidently They Called The Chippie The Frying Pan , The Council Put A Compulery Perchase On Them And John Bought A Chippie On The Prshore Rd Next ToThe BBC ,
He Redeveloped The ShopAnd Then Sold It And Went

astonian thank you for all the info. len i vote for heath street too. wales.

Thats Was The Lee Bridge Tavern ,Looking From The Winson Green Rd
Up Towards Dudley Rd Where The Lee Bridge Taveren Was AndWhere The Big Houses Was At The Very Far Distance Was The Corner Of Northbrook Street They Was The
Only Houses With The Attics There Was A Batch Of About Twenty Of Them
And They Was Facing Heath St And The Lee Bridge Taveren I Went There Two Weeks Ago And Its Now A Curry Shop Called The Spice Resturant ,
I Can OnlyPresume That Mossy Has,nt Seen This Thread Because He Would Have Also
Have Confirmed It Because Used To Use These Pubs And A Very Good Old Friend
A Guy Called Micky Good Friends To Both Of Us Used To Live A CROSS TheRoad OfTheShakespear Pub Facing It

hi folks. if this is and it seems so. the pic i posted is of great importance to me. what a find. i kept thinking that i should know heath st. its just come to me. while doing family research months ago i discovered that an ancestor on moms side was born in heath st on the 24th march 1865. thats another one for me album lyn

Lyn
Don't know if you've got a picture of the Lee Bridge Tavern Astonian mentioned to go with your interest. Doesn't seem to have been one on the forum before.
Mike

E-mail_lee_bridge_tavern_1921.jpg

wicked mike. cheers. it looks as strong as an ox but i suppose its no longer there. lyn

Apparently it was still there but disused in 2003, but now? No doubt someone can tell us
Mike

Hi Lynn And Mike
Oh Yes It Is Still There , Meaning The Pub Is Still In Tact ,
But Now Its A Curry House , Called The Spices
I Went There Two Weeks Ago Up The Dudley Rd , What I Call My Own End ,
AndI Went To Get SomePics For Maggie ,And I Took A PAic Of TheResturant With Its Name Showing I Also Done A Thread On That Subject Of ThePub Before And The Street Before And After The Other Day ,But For Some Reason Some Of My Threads Ain,t Going Through I Will Get My Son Today To Put The Picture Of The Resturant And The B,A ,Arms , And The Old Windmill And Where TheDuke Of Wellington Used To Be And Also The Spot Where The Colledge Ams Used To Be Today ,Best Wishes To You All And Have A Nice Day , ASTONIAN ,;;;;

thats astonian. its good to know its still there at least. thanks again for all your info. lyn

HI LYNN
HERE Is The Pic I Promised You Of The Lee Bridge Taveren
Still Standing And Now A Curry House Today
Best Wishes Astonian

thank you astonian. to think my ancestors prob drank in there in the 1860s and before. lyn

Hi Astonian
Thanks for posting the pic it bought back so many memories ..do you remember you could drink downstairs there,,it was called the Tagus Bar downstairs and was mainly used by the younger customers
Maggie

Lyn
Sorry to pour cold water, but, I realised if you look at the tiling and design, this building wasn't there in 1860s. Looking at the Kellys I have, the pub appeared between 1921 and 1940. I was surprised it was so late, but checked in case it had changed its name, and there doesn't seem to have anything listed for that site 1921 or before. Other than 7 beer retailers, the 1976 directory lists the Albion, Heath St Tavern and the Vine (that's a surprise). Unfortunately the numbering all changed about 1880 (like in the other case you were interested in), so am not sure if the Shakespeare is the Vine renamed. Will try and check that by tracing through the years.
Mike

HI There Mag
I,m Glad You Like The Pic ,Its Just One Of ThemThat I Took For You The
Two Weeks Ago When AI Went For The Duke ,But Sadley It,s Been Knocked Down
And All I Got Was The Spot It Was OnAndThe NameOfThe Side St With The Street Hoardings Around It, And I Got One Of The B,A Pub ,Thats Still Standing InFine Form
And Also I Got One Of The Old Windmill Oppersite Dudley Rd Hospital
I Even Went Down To The Colledge Arms Thats Gone There,sA Phone Box Standing There Now And The Street Sign Saying Colledge Rd ,I Took A Long Shot Of The Houses In Colledge Rd Where The Bus Garage Was And Also One Of Clissiold St Passage That Took You Along Into New Spring St , Stour St ,Steward St School
Part Of King Edwards Rd By Golly The Place Is Terrible
YesMag I Do Remember The Tagus Bar Down Stairs Down There Nearly Every Night When It Was Open And Always Up Stairs As Well , I Am Trying To Think Whom Was The Gathers There At The Time When The Tagus Opened Up
TheGather Was A Little Fat Guy So Was A Couple Of His Sons They Moved In When The Previos Guy Moved Out , He Was Also A Little Guy I Think He Took Over TheB,a Pub If My Memory Serves Me Right ,Mag Was You Down There Often ?.
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;

If you enlarge the photo that Astonian has put on, post #72, right at the top of the 'sharp end' wall on the right it says "AD 1919", the date it was built.

hi mike. dont worry as i thought it looked at bit to modern to be there in the 1860s. i still have that great pic of heath st which i am more than happy with. cheers lyn

hi all. just noticed someone has put our pic on the brookfields site asking if anyone can confirm it is heath st. good eh. must keep an eye on it. lyn

Back