• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

where is this street/road

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. ive just been sent this picture and i would like to know the name of the road or street. this may give you all something to think about as i dont know myself. just thought it would be nice for me to set you all a little task. so come on folks who knows where it is wales.

Not that I know the area very well, but something about the photo is saying Heath St Winson Green, but that would be a 100% guess.

Phil

phil. theres a bit of a clue. top right hand corner sign that says smoke room and assembly room. lyn

Hi Lyn
I thought the same as Phil i remember Heath St looking just like that..but then again lots of streets looked like the pic
maggie

hi maggie. it looked a very tidy st/rd where ever it was and the houses looked so sturdy. think we have to hope someone who actually lived there spots the pic. the only clue is at the top right hand corner. lyn

There's a clue on the top right hand corner - magnify, it states 'Smoke and Assembly Rooms'

keith

phil. theres a bit of a clue. top right hand corner sign that says smoke room and assembly room. lyn

I suppose that could be the Heath Street Tavern, but I'm guessing again, the only recollections I have of Heath St is the café on the corner of Tudor St, and that was after they started demolishing the area.

Phil

phil i was thinking as it says assembly rooms maybe it was more of some sort of working mens club rather than a pub. just a thought. it may ring some bells with someone. lyn

In 1940 there was a Rutland social club at 181 and a Tudor Social club at 192-4
Mike

mike as phil said there was a cafe on the corner of tudor st and you say there was a tudor club in heath st id say heath st is a good bet. one other thing is i noticed that there are quite a few people in the picture so do you think the st/rd running accross could have been a busy shopping area. maybe looking at map will tell us.lyn

Wales

If I am correct in my assumption, then the street running across the picture would be Winson Green Rd.

The only club? in the café at the junction of Tudor Rd would have been the Shabeen in the cellar that I used to occasionally frequent in the 60's. So my only knowledge of Heath street was arriving there late at night when the pubs closed and leaving there in the morning when the milk was being delivered.

Phil

so phil. i think we have a 50 50 chance of you being right on this one. but given your vast knowledge i would not bet against your guess. i will keep an eye on this thread to see what anyone else turns up. lyn

I can't help with where the road is, but it's unusual in Birmingham to see three storey houses. I thought when I first looked that it would be identified pretty quickly - wrong.......

hi di. a friend of mine who works for carl chinn sent me the pic to see if i had any ideas. at the moment he is busy scanning thousands of old images of birmingham and although has a good knowledge himself could not place it. like you he noted the 3 story houses. as a lot of photos are donated to the archives i suppose it may not mean that this is actually of a birmingham street. if it is hopefully somone will be able to pinpoint it. wales.

The photo was taken when car number plates had a regional meaning. There must be an expert out there who can tell us where the Morris comes from at least

ah michael. good idea (glad i thought of that) lol im sure someone will be able to check it out. lyn

The Morris Minor on the right, with AA badge on its grille, is from Glasgow (GB) while the mini opposite, which has one of those transparent anti-misting panels stuck on the rear window - who remembers those? - is from Smethwick (HA). The actual number, 2554 HA, would have been issued in late 1960.
The street lighting poles are 1960s tubular, and the lamps on them are GEC Z8520's dating from 1968.
The comment about the houses being three storey is something I thought of too, but some terraces in nearby (if it is Heath Street) Aberdeen street were also triple-floored, see below.

Lloyd many thanks for the info. so it could quite possably be heath street then. if it is a brum street lets hope someone can definately confirm it. thanks again. wales. o yes and cheers for the other pic.

Not really that amazing - just an internet enthusiast who knows where to search for things. It's like having an entire reference library here at my fingertips!
Plus having been a bus, tram and trolleybus enthusiast since I was about 4, I've built up a bit of knowledge (and shelf-fulls of books!) on that subject.
Anything mechanical or electrical takes my fancy, and if I can operate or drive it so much the better.
The oldest vehicle I've driven is this (replica) 1803 Trevithick Steam Carriage, when it visited the Black Country Museum a few years ago!

Lloyd
That is a truely magnificent machine. Obviously not for the hoi-polloi as the passengers sit high up away from the herd.
Mike

A truly frightening thing to drive, as it wallows along powered on only one of its large spindly wheels, and has the gait of a mechanical elephant!

Car Reg No YGB 667 was registered in Leeds. Len.

Where do you get that from, Len? My reference shows Glasgow as having CS,DS,GA,GB,GD,GE,GG,HS,NS,OS,SB,SD,SJ,SM,SU,SW,US and YS; Whilst Leeds had BT,DN,NW,UA,UB,UG,UM, VY,WR,WT,WU,WW,WX,WY and YG.
I know some were moved around in the 70s, but at the time of this picture I think GB was a Glasgow mark.

Wales

This photo of Heath St is I believe taken further up the road the location on your photo (if I am correct). As you can see the houses are the same even down to the fancy brickwork decoration at first and second floor window level.

Phil

WinsonGreenHeathSt-1.jpg

Back