• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is This Pub?

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
I found the following picture in my archives and can't remember exactly where it was taken - somewhere around Newhall Street perhaps?

Attachments

• City Queens Arms Newhall St.jpg
    City Queens Arms Newhall St.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 5
Oisin,there is a Queens Arms listed at 150,Newhall Street in Kelly's,along with another 6,so it's possible it's the one.It appears it may have been on the corner of Charlotte Street.I have tried to "blow up " the photo to read the street sign on the building,but I still cannot read it

Colin

Colin, Charlotte Street rings a bell so I reckon you've got it - thanks. O0 I also tried blowing up the street name with the same success :( but we got there.

It looks like the pub oppsite the Assay Office.

I worked at the Assay office for a couple of years and we used to go there for their incredible pork sandwiches and a bag of crisps. :smitten:

Yes, the Queen's Arms is still in business, on the corner of Newhall Street and Charlotte Street. It recently clhanged hands and was closed for refurbishment, reopening in mid-August 2006. The outside hasn't changed, but inside has been slightly tarted up, with a new shiny polished floor and new furniture, but it's still a proper pub, with real beer pulled from real hand pumps.
I was in there last week and put off only by a noisy party of office yoicks who had taken the place over at 12.00 noon. Nothing like as big as the Bartons Arms, but still a fascinating place.At least they have tried to make a go of it.
Peter

How I wish we had nice country pubs here like we used to go to when we were young in England.

They all seem to be restaurants or sports bars, which are very nice but where have the old country pubs gone. :'(

Maybe that is just an European thing and they never had them here as the country side is so vast.

We have one about a mile away and its over run with Sailing Bods all the Summer :(

Sakura said:
How I wish we had nice country pubs here like we used to go to when we were young in England.

They all seem to be restaurants or sports bars, which are very nice but where have the old country pubs gone. :'(

Maybe that is just an European thing and they never had them here as the country side is so vast.

My experience of most English country pubs is that they're run by miserable old gets who look down their noses at strangers. I find old inner city pubs a lot more friendly - being a townie, I s'pose I would say that, wouldn't I?
thdrunksmileys.gif

ALF,JUMP IN YOUR MOTOR AND BRING YOUR SELF TO WORCESTER, AND EVERSHAM ,WE,VE GOT PLENTY OF THEM DOWN HERE ,WE DON,T HAVE WINE BARS DOWN HERE YOU WOULD BE SPOILT FOR CHOICE BELIEVE ME ,WE HAVE PEOPLE PULLING UP ON HORSE,S AND TIEING THEM OUT SIDE, OUR COUNTRY LANES ARE FULL OF THEM TRANQUILITY AND HEAVENLY SOUNDS OF SHEEP COWS , HORSES ALONG SIDE OF YOU AND AND YOU GET GOOD TRADIONAL ALE, ITS PARADISE, FOLLOW THE AA,S YEARS TRAIL THROUGH EVERSHAM, OR COME TO HONEYBOURNE IN EVESHAM, OR COME INTO WORCESTER YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO GO BACK ,

Oisin said:
Sakura said:

My experience of most English country pubs is that they're run by miserable old gets who look down their noses at strangers. I find old inner city pubs a lot more friendly - being a townie, I s'pose I would say that, wouldn't I?
thdrunksmileys.gif

Our one is Oisin looks down his nose as well, example if you go in about 12.00pm you will find about two people at the bar and 10 empty tables, go to sit down sorry all reserved and its been like that for years. Had a Brum mate over from Oz about 6 years ago and we had to sit outside needless to say don't use the place now.

Glad to hear the ones in Evesham and Worcester are still there, we used to go to a nice one in Bellbroughton but we can't remember the name of it. :)

The village pub where my brother lives in Devon was very nice and the food was good. O0

hi every one , does anybody remember the originional grey hound cider bar in the old holloway head around the period of the 1950,s it was a little entry you had to walk up , and on your right hand of the entry there was a two tear stable box door where you would stand and asked for a penny , or half penny glass os cider the penny bouhgt you the reasonal stuff, and the half penny bought you the rough stuff , it was like swallowing glass downyour throat , at the time there was one only table you could sit down at , other wise you would have to stand on the street, there was many a man pulled up in a car whom stopped for a swift half and came out staggering , we used to laugh at them , the cider must have been at the bottom of the barrell.

Astonian,
Yup I remember that cider house in the 60s; the drink was a bit more expensive then. I also remember the one in New Canal Street. Then there was the Hen & Chickens on Constitution Hill, where I once saw a cabbage taken in payment for a pint of scrumpy.

HI OSIN, I DID,,T THINK ANYBODY WOULD HAVE REMEMBER THE ALLEY TO THE OLD ORINGINAL GREY HOUND ,I THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE ONLY AN OLD DOG HOUND LIKE ME WHOM WOULD HAVE REMEMBERERD. YES YOU WAS RIGHT ,I ALSO REMEMBER THE CRACKING HEN AND CHICKS ON CONSTITTUTION HILL, TAT WAS A CRACKING PUB IT WAS ALWAYS A FULL HOUSE, UNTIL THE STUDENTS PICKED UP ON IT. WE USED TO CALL THEM THE BEAT NIKS IN THEM DAYS AND THEY OVER RAN THE PLACE , THEN THEY CHANGE THE PUB TO FOLK CLUB MUSIC THOSE WERE THE DAYS MATE , THEN CAME ALONG THE GREAT CEDAR CLUB, OWEND BY EDDIE FEWTRELL , WHOM CHANGED OUR CITY NIGHT SCENE FOR THE BETTER.

Sakura said:
It looks like the pub oppsite the Assay Office.

I worked at the Assay office for a couple of years and we used to go there for their incredible pork sandwiches and a bag of crisps. :smitten:

I used to work in Canterbury House in Newhall Street, and we sometimes used to in there for a lunchtime sarnie and a pint. One of my mates asked when the eye surgeon was coming in, when he was asked "what eye surgeon" he replied "the one who slices the ham for your sarnies", we were'nt very welcome after that.

YOU SAY ABOUT EVESHAM WE USED TO GO CAMPING THERE AND ONE OF THE PUBS WE USED WAS THE CIDER MILL IT WAS WHAT IT SAID WITH THE BARRELLS OUT THE BACK WITH APPLES BOBBING ABOUT IN THEM AND ALMOST GREEN IN COLOUR I THINK IT WAS ABOUT 9d A PINT THEN OVER ON HUXLEYS FERRY TO THE TENTS OR IF IT WAS LATE WE WOULD FOLLOW THE RAILWAY LINE WHICH RAN AT THE BACK OF THE CAMPING FIELDS MANY HAPPY HANGOVERS FROM THAT LIQUID.
OH HAPPY DAYS
JOHN

Back