• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this, not a quiz - I aint got a clue

col h

master brummie
Anybody recognise this pic, its been on my hard drive for ages. Got no idea where it came from.

Attachments

• City Queens Drive New Street Station (2) - Copy.jpg
    City Queens Drive New Street Station (2) - Copy.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like one of the arches built by various trades for King Edward and Queen Alexandra's visit to Birmingham in 1909. Similar to the one in this attached photo

The Birmingham coat of arms could be for Birmingham Canal Wharf as I believe it Could be looking down Holliday Street from Suffolk St.

Phil

Attachments

• Lamp Makers Arch Kings Visit 1909.jpg
    Lamp Makers Arch Kings Visit 1909.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 8
With the mark in the bottom left corner I would say you found it on Ebay

It looks like a Royal visit we had one sort of for Prince of Wales here in Nacton

I think it's Queens Drive, which used to divide New St Station.
The wagon has a hooped (canvas?) cover for the driver, a typical railway 'road wagon' practice, and the road in front dips sharply to pass under the pedestrian footbridge linking the platforms. View taken from Worcester Street end.

Attachments

• City Queens Drive New St Station 1955.jpg
    City Queens Drive New St Station 1955.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 6
Lloyd

I don't think its Queens Drive for the reason that the photo shows buiding on the right through the arch. There were none on Queens Drive.

Also if it were Holliday Street, dont forget BR's goods depot was close on hand which may explain the cart.

Phil

Attachments

• City Queens Drive 1950 .jpg
    City Queens Drive 1950 .jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 5
I have no idea where all ideas seem reasonable have altered and cropped photo building on right under arch which has writing on top and the bridge ?someone may be able to enhance writing ?

Last edited:
Thanks for trying so hard.
For some reason I cant open these thumbnails, but i'm not so sure that it is a covered wagon now, and is that another bridge in the distant background ?

Forgot to say in my last post,
This looks like it was taken from inside a vehicle because you have the reflection of a tall post with a fancy bracket attached to it.

john..how nice to see the coat of arms on a bridge...bet you wont see that now....it does seem as though there is another bridge in the distance...but as to where it is i have no idea.....

lyn

it looks more like the entrance to a castle to me....but him indoors has offered his guess as the proof house......

lyn

its ok folks..ive just found a pic of the proof house...him indoors is now sulking...lol

lyn

hi have been taxing my little brain and casting back years of my boy hood
and i have to say pmc our phil is possibly right because and my matesventured down holiday st and around that mannor we looked upand said wow
and it was definately around holiday st thinking this would have been around 1950
and that had been there years long before we was thought on the old king and queen most definately best wishes astonian;;

sorry forgot to put photo in last post..

Attachments

• $_57[1].jpg
    $_57[1].jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 5
cheers John that is the one.... lol dont know what happened with thumbnails have corrected it now ? but at least with your photo we can see the writing inside the arch thanks

Whole thing looks a bit like a mock up now doesnt it ? front of the building and roofs dont look very deep.

Great Pic John, thanks....a bit nearer anyway.

Back