• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this? Kings Norton Church

Mrs Bear 51

master brummie
Greetings,
I have recently found the father of my illegitimate grandfather, so I guess my great-grandfather.
Matched by DNA it would appear my great-grandfather was Edwin Frederick Sage - he gifted my great-grandmother three illegitimate children.
Anyway, I have all my family history on Ancestry and a photo has been widely shared as being Edwin F Sage on his wedding day to Clare Weston.
Ancestry confirms he was married in 1901 at Kings Norton, but I don't recognise the Church. No reason why I should as although a Birmingham girl, I never really spent any time over in that area. The only church I know is St Nicolas on Kings Norton Green.
I have included the picture in my tree, but wanted to take a least a few steps to try to corroborate if it is indeed him - although his father looks to be the same man as in other shared photos.
It is a stock photo from Alamy, hence the watermark... the one on Ancestry does not have these watermarks, but it is smaller.
Any suggestions for the church, please?

Attachments

• 1901 Wedding.jpg
    1901 Wedding.jpg
    905.3 KB · Views: 36
A copy of the marriage cert would confirm which church he was married at.
The registration district of Kings Nortonin 1901 seems to have been quite widespread.
Some information here
Yes, but at £11 I'm a little loathe to purchase it as it's not to the lady who was my great-grandmother. But an option if all else fails.

I understand that but there are so many churches that could come under Kings Norton registration district.

It took a while to find it. In the end I searched for Clare Watson in 1901 in Birmingham and to my surprise it came up with that notice. Nothing came up on search for Edwin. I think it depends on what has been tagged.
Glad to help. (I like a challenge :D ).

It took a while to find it. In the end I searched for Clare Watson in 1901 in Birmingham and to my surprise it came up with that notice. Nothing came up on search for Edwin. I think it depends on what has been tagged.
Glad to help. (I like a challenge :D ).
I've found him in other newspaper articles, seems my great-grandmother dodged a bullet in not marrying the father of her children.
He is what would have been called a 'bounder'. His divorce papers from another lady mention him committing adultery with 4 women - one of whom was my great-grandmother.
Thanks for taking the trouble to find it - I knew I'd come to the right place!

I saw the divorce papers. He was a lot older than Clare wasn't he? I suppose he shouldn't have got married in church but perhaps he didn't tell the truth - it was a lot harder to check things in those days.

I saw the divorce papers. He was a lot older than Clare wasn't he? I suppose he shouldn't have got married in church but perhaps he didn't tell the truth - it was a lot harder to check things in those days.
Yes, he was 49 and she was 22.
My great-grandmother started working for him as his housekeeper when she was 16, and had her first child by him when she was 21.
I would like to think it was consensual but even if it was I'm sure there was some coercian in there as well.
Sad times - she did well to get away from him.

yes they were sad times mrs bear and i bet all those years ago they never thought that many years later we would find out their secrets...just like my gt gt grandad he was a bigamist but i found out him out :D

lyn

yes they were sad times mrs bear and i bet all those years ago they never thought that many years later we would find out their secrets...just like my gt gt grandad he was a bigamist but i found out him out :D

lyn
I'm sure there was lots of it about. As you say, who knew we'd be finding out so much? :)

Back