• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is This #209?

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Can anybody tell me where this country scene is located today

Attachments

• 209 .JPG
    209 .JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 123
looks like old caravans on a site phil...would it be near the black patch near foundry lane..

Lyn

I would say Yardley is the closest so far as it is definitely East Birmingham

Thanks Phil. Is it where the fair people park their vans in the winter and a pub has been derelict there for some time?.

I thought it may be in the vicinity of Bordesley Green Road, looking across those fields on the river Cole. Its a great photo, I have been really captivated by.

Jean,

can you be a bit more specific as I think you might be on the right track.

Phil , I believe the area that Jean describes is the Bulls Head/Manor house Stechford( now a car wash) and the fairground park, Station Road by the Cottrills lane roundabout.

Alberta that is where I meant. Think it is where Bob Wilsons fair folk wintered?. We sometimes pass it on the way to Acocks Green bowling alley. We pass through Stechford just after passing this place. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jean

That's what I thought, well I've decided that the location you give is near enough. The photo is of Flaxley Rd in 1932 as I don't really know exactly where on Flaxley Rd it is. so it could just as well be at the end of Flaxley Rd looking at where the Bulls Head would be built. If anybody could tell me what the iron fencing is to left is around then perhaps we might be able to firm the location up. Here is a better photo.

Attachments

• Stechford Flaxley Rd 1932.JPG
    Stechford Flaxley Rd 1932.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 36
Thanks Phil. Pete was thinking it was the Red Lion but I guess he knew there was an animal in the pubs name?. Jean.

Looking at the c 1916 map of Flaxley road, the only place I can see that would correspond to the junction (I think it is a junction) is just above those houses centre near the railway,. this would make the road in the picture going off to the left towards Hillhouse farm. this would seem (I have no knowledge of the area) to be the corner of flaxley Road with Flaxley close today

map_c_1916_Flaxley_road.jpg

On a map from the 1920s there seem to be some allotments in that area. Could the railings be round them? As I don't know the area very well I am guessing.

Janice

Mike

The problem is at the point you indicate travelling in the direction you say you would be heading uphill and not downhill as shown in the photo.

Back