• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is This #209?

I don't know, GE shows reasonable flatness in that immediate area and the terrain seems to rise a bit around the bend in the left of the photo. In the distance you can see what are possibly the row houses on Church Ln. with housing development in progress towards the camera where the farm was. Could that have been a graveyard on the left with the railings around. Houses there now. Darned interesting photo that and mucho kudos for getting the location and map ref. The current photo seems to show a slight rise which may result from the camera pointing down.

Attachments

• Flaxley.jpg
    Flaxley.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 22
it loking acros the open fields of the what is now known as the kigfisher wild trust and think you are o about the plough and harrow pub o the coventry rd
and you can se bob wilsons grounds where they park up for the winterwhich is shipman rd and there used to an arm and navvy store
come down from the back of the hospita staight the island and the rd bends you can se st berdnetts catholic school and from there yardley fields rd and across you can walk to coventry rd and when you are walking you wll se the bob wilson fair ground whom actualy ows he land ad he built a big whopping house in dallus sytle in white in remembeence of both is parents and t the end of thefield is the old plough and harow pub astonian;;;

This is my guess where the photo was taken from, the junction of Flaxley Lane & Audley Rd. At that time the houses to the front would not have been there so the houses in the distance would be the ones on Wyndhurst Rd.

Attachments

• Flaxley.JPG
    Flaxley.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 23
Just looking at GE and I think that the houses on Wyndhurst road would not be far enough in the distance from there and the ones that would be in the view, it seems to me are semi's. Whereas the houses in the 38 photo are longer tenements containing more dwellings.
Perhaps the fence on the left of the 38 photo may have served as a rail line safety fence. There is still a fence in the former suggested location today moved further back to allow a few houses to be built in front.

Hi Rupert will take a photo next time we are over there. Think you are right about the fence?. Jean.

Back