• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This #207?

Well done carolina. I didn't know that area was known for nail making. Has anyone got a recent picture of it?

There is a house on that spot but the frontage has changed a bit and the road on the right of the photo has been re-routed. Not a pub anymore. If a nailing location there may have been a mill in the locality for drawing wire.

Think you have the wrong spot Phil.

Strange to have a location area called Moor Street. Anyway the road to the right of the building has been re-routed and what seems like a row house building is there now. The Old Crown building is still there though. Tricky area to navigate this is for some reason. I think this is the spot and the building...though changed...is about right. I bet it is really nice inside. Check back later; have to make a turkey casserole.

Attachments

• Old Crown A.jpg
    Old Crown A.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Old Crown.jpg
    Old Crown.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 14
Thats interesting Rupert - it does look very very similar at the least.
I wonder if it is ? if theres a bits been chopped off the end.

Phil if it is right may be Rupert deserves 2 points for this one :)

Very close resemblance. The windows and doors have been changed - one less upstairs and the lower bay windows have been changed for flat windows. The remaining upstairs windows are very similar. I expect the lower frontage was changed to make it into one large cottage with one main entrance. The two cottage entrances have been replaced by windows and, what might have been a passage between the two, has become the main entrance. Looks good. Viv.
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395320163.910187.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you look at these two maps side by side you will note the only alteration to the roads has been the cutting through of Clapgate Lane. The Old Crown hasn't moved much at all save for a few feet back further off the road frontage in the 70's when the old pub was demolished and the new one was built. You can read it's history here on this forum.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19706

Attachments

• Old%20Crown%20A[1].jpg
    Old%20Crown%20A[1].jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Lapal.JPG
    Lapal.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 24
I suspect that rumors of the demise of the building may be premature and the above maps are not similarly oriented. The building does not seem to have moved at all but the end of Lyeclose has.
The second map shows the change to Lyeclose and also shows the subject pub building I believe. Maybe Mike could do a GE overlay.

Well Kieron says the Old Crown was demolished in the 70's and he is pretty knowledgeable on the subject of pubs so I tend to accept what he says, and as I have said the only difference I can see is that the pub is a little further back from the road. In addition the Old Crown has always been on the corner of Lye Close Lane opposite Watery Lane where the pub that stands today is. Another thing is that your house is built on the wrong orientation to be the Old Crown.

Your second map shows the actual building and the angled row houses and changed Lye Close route so it must be later than the old pub photo. Re-orientate your maps so that the Clapgate streets line up. Rotate the second one about 70 clockwise.

There is no Clapgate Lane in the first map to line up, only Watery Lane opposite the pub.

I lived not far from there in the 70s and can confirm that the Old Crown was demolished and a new one built on the (more-or-less) same site.
Like the Greyhound in Norton, Stourbridge I don't think it was an improvement .. but that's progress for you I guess.

Back