• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This #207?

Rupert

I can't work out what you mean by "blacked out street name", but the three street names that abut the cross roads are Lye Court Lane, Watery Lane and Woodgate Lane that crosses them. Clapcate Lane is just a little further down Woodgate Lane.

On this 1955 map you can see the Old Crown on the corner of Lye Court Lane marked A then at the top of clapgate lane you can see the house in your photo marked B.

Attachments

• Old Crown 1955.JPG
    Old Crown 1955.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 12
phil i think rupert means the blacked out street name on your original photo...interesting thread is this

lyn

Yes of course, and looking I see that I have been calling it the wrong name. It is Lye Close Lane and not Lye Court Lane

Attachments

• Woodgate Valley Old Crown Lye Close .jpg
    Woodgate Valley Old Crown Lye Close .jpg
    112 KB · Views: 11
The buildings look very similar but probably not exact, I don't mean to add fuel to the fire gents - but this is an interesting thread.

OK, sorry for not getting back sooner. Yeah, I found it interesting too but I am pretty sure that Phil is right. I find it difficult to navigate in this location,,,the old OS map sheets overlap and only 10,000/1 is available on British History On Line in this area. The current building is so very similar in many respects though but I think it always only had 4 upper windows and the single storey left abutment was 'as built' I think. Hmmm...'As Built' a term that covers 'oversights' for Engineers. Anyway; I was asking Phil to rotate his map, but it was I who should have rotated GE to match. Anyway there is no beating 'feet on the ground' and Charlie is one with this kind of local knowledge here. There is a web site with Bartley Green info and I will include the site ref. below if I can. Come to think of it; you could take any three row houses from most parts of old Brum and they would look pretty much the same. So why would there not be an older similarity here. A monotonous aspect that later estates tried to eradicate with some success.
Thanks for the thread Phil. and I hope you will continue. Dennis

https://bgdhg.co.uk/PICTURES2.htm

Pictures from times when community meant much more I think.

Back