• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This #205?

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Where is this and what event was being celebrated?

Attachments

• 205 .JPG
    205 .JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 137
Unveiling a plaque to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria and her mother to Aston Hall? The Queen - a young princess at the time - was on a tour of the country with her mother and they were the guests of James Watt Junior. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They stayed at the Royal Hotel and later visited the manufactory of a Mr Thomason, jeweller silversmith etc at 29 Church st (see drawing below) and the duchess of Kent pulled a cord which started a press to strike a commemorative medal with the head of George 4th on one side and Queen Adelaide on the other side with wording commemmorating the visit of the duchess and princess to the city. I would guess the top of the plaque might be a reproduction of the medal?

All very good and interesting, but what does the photo commemorate consider this, half of the plaque has been blacked out by myself, why?

Because it gives the answer Phil.
th

Jean

what is behind the blacked out part of the plaque gives part of the answer, but not all of it. Time for a little clue, It concerns an event in 1959.

Was the plaque removed from somewhere else? Perhaps from Aston Hall to another venue? The background detail doesn't look like Aston Hall, looks more modern. If it was moved, have no idea why! Viv

Just had a thought. Maybe it was moved to the site of Styles Hotel (as mentioned in Mike's post #3) or maybe to the Council House? Viv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now we are beginning to get down to it, what do we know about the Hotel that Mike mentions?

The Royal Hotel was sited in Temple Row I believe, I don't know much about it but it had many famous guests including Queen Victoria, and I believe it was the venue for French residents in Birmingham, where it was the main venue in the UK for celebrating "Storming the Bastille". I don't know much else.

No nothing to do with Motorways, just think what was happening on Temple Row in 1959?

No nothing to do with Motorways, just think what was happening on Temple Row in 1959?

they demolished all those fine georgian buildings and built rackhams phil....i think it was round about then...

lyn

Yes Lyn, and the Mayor opened it in 1960. Was the plaque put into Rackhams store? Don't remember seeing it in there but if it was in the restaurant, I never went in there. But I don't quite see the connection if it went into Rackhams. VivImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394980553.649026.jpg
Blimey, the hospitality wasn't too hot, the Mayor had to cook his own lunch!

We are getting there slowly. so what happened to the Old Royal Hotel did it close down forever?

Back