• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is This ? #190

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Where and what is this, and what was it later replaced by?

Phil

9894a121.jpg

Is it the Stork ? the pictures I have seen don't have those tall ornamnets on top of the doorway

Yes Jennyann

Its the Arden Hotel which was just next door to the Odeon. I think you and Viv must share the kudos on this one. Well done both of you.

Here are a couple more photo, one when it was sort of half the Hen & Chickens and another when it was the Arden Hotel.

Phil

c405c1fd.jpg
673eef9e.jpg

Looks like there was a lot of re-modeling of the building from Phil's photo post #1 to the first photo in post #20. Lots of features seem to have been added including another floor whilst the porch seems to have been stripped of its ornamentation. The building in the 2nd photo post #20 seems to have gone through a complete re-build. Don't know the timescales here but that must almost be on a par with the frequency of change the City Centre witnesses these days!! Viv.

Viv

You are correct in saying that the Hen & Chickens went through many changes in its long life and a complete rebuild when it became the Arden Hotel. As this drawing of the original Hen & Chickens shows accompanied by another photo of the Arden Hotel in what looks like the early 50's.

Phil

2c2a16a6.jpg
[
de65e84b.jpg

Viv,

But is it the original Odeon Sign? I think it was the sign from the Paramount as can be seen here, it can also be noted that the Hen & Chickens had not yet become the Arden Hotel at that time.

Phil

4b44bcb9.jpg

Viv,

But is it the original Odeon Sign? I think it was the sign from the Paramount as can be seen here, it can also be noted that the Hen & Chickens had not yet become the Arden Hotel at that time.

Phil

Phil what was the building on the left of the Arden Hotel, the light colored building, 2nd photo in post No. 22 . It used to have about 4 steps slightly sticking out, up to an elegant entrance. I remember a mob of us in the 60's standing on these steps on a very wintry night singing carol songs and being conducted by Mushy (Moriarty) a notorious gambler of that era in town wearing his black tuxedo suit. Was it a bank?

Bob

It was Lloyds Bank I believe, and when they built the Rotunda on that spot the ground floor was taken by Lloyds bank.

Phil

Definitely remember Lloyds Bank at the bottom of the Rotunda. There used to be a pedestrian underpass, I think, in front of the Bank but expect all that went with the last re-development of the Bull Ring.

Phil, I like the photo of the Paramount in post 24. Love the sweeping line of the canopy. Viv.

My own website page (referring to King Edward's School in New Street) tells me this:

The Girls' School was opened on 18th September 1893, in the Assembly Hall of the Boys' School in the Barry building. 150 girls were taught in the Hall, and 'classrooms' were separated by curtain partitions.

The Girls' Assembly Hall was separated from Big School - the Boys' Hall - by a corridor, the doors of which were carefully locked!

The establishment of the girls in the Barry building was most definitely a temporary measure, and the Governors continued to look for a central site on which to build the Girls' School. In 1889, the premises of the Liberal Club at the corner of Congreve Street became vacant and the Governors decided to take the building as another temporary, but far more more spacious, premises in which to house the girls. In 1893, the old Hen and Chickens Hotel (adjoining the boys' school in New Street) was for sale. The Governors quickly bought the site. At first sight the position was far from ideal, as it consisted of a narrow strip of land running back from the street with a very small frontage. However, Mr Chatwin, the architect, made the best of the space and a handsome school building - the High School for Girls - was opened on November 26th 1896.​

(More information and images are here: https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/L4OtherReminiscencesstaffshg.shtml )

Does the above statement conflict with what has been stated in this thread? Should like to correct it if it's wrong.

Chris

Chris

I don't think you are wrong in what you say, but you can clearly see on photo two post #20 of this thread both the Hen & Chickens and college existing side by side. On closer inspection you can see that KEGS runs along the rear of the hotel. Perhaps this is the narrow strip of land that is referred to?

Phil

Don't know if this is any help. Map c 1889 of the Grammar school and Hen & chickens. This seems to show the Hen & chickens with a long strip of empty land behind it. You cannot be very sure of dating of these maps though

map_grammar_school_new_st_c_1889.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back