• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This? 174

morning john...ok then as im waiting to save this lovely pic with the correct caption and im getting impatient......what art school did you attend....lol.....only joking....

lyn...

i know it would john...im thinking digbeth way now....lol...lets face it im clutching at straws as i have not got a clue....

lyn

John

As you say, its not that far from an Art School about a 10-15 minute stroll. But are we talking about the same school?

Phil

Alf

Sorry I thought I had answered you, no it's not Aston or Hockley.

Phil

Thanks Phil you know how touchy I am having got one right since you started, I live in hope that one day I'll be top of the pile agin.
Sometimes its hard to take but I'll fight on

I'm thinking John may have gone to Moseley School of Art, is the cafe in Balsall Heath or Sparkbrook?

Macca

Macca

There is certainly a possibility of what you say being correct. I would have thought Mikejee would have had a photo of this because I know he was taking photos in this area at the time this one was taken.

Phil

Phil. Looks inner city to me i,m going to have a dip and say the Pershore Rd ---Bromsgrove St area. Dek

this is not fair.....phil and john are winding me up...lol....ok is it
anywhere near digbeth

lyn

Macca,

No, no & no.

Dek,

right side of town, wrong area.

Lyn

Would we dare? where would we find the key? and you question depends on what do you call near? but in my opinion the answer would be no.

Phil

Although it is 40 years since I moved from Brum,I am still a Brummie at heart.
I went there last Saturday for the day,and felt emotional.
A lot has changed but my memories never will.
On the subject of Carols my favourite is Silent Night.

Brummie Jemina

Phil lets try a bit further out if i remember right Gooch St used to be quite a busy shopping area. Dek

Well Dave your guess would be correct. Its the Olive Cafe, Highgate Rd, Sparkbrook, which to my memory was just short of Ladypool Rd going down from Moseley rd on the right hand side.

Well done again.

Phil

well phil..i wasnt that far away was i lol..well done dave...i can now save it with the correct caption...

thanks phil..any chance of the hockley area next time...

lyn...

Well done Dave If it had gone on any longer I would have to guess again

well phil..i wasnt that far away was i lol..well done dave...i can now save it with the correct caption...

thanks phil..any chance of the hockley area next time...

lyn...

Lyn

If you wait until I am able to upload photos again I will post it again without any alterations & additions.

Phil

Thanks folks and Phil, I knew I had seen that place somewhere, it was at the back of my mind all day. It only come to mind when someone asked me where the Highgate branch of PC World was, they must have thought me nuts when I shouted "Thats where that place is!"

Yes Highgate Rd., and I did go to Mosely Art School.
Phil there was another cafe across the road up towards the bridge I always used (was it Fred's) had a big tea urn in the corner facing you as you went in.

John

I was pretty sure you knew where it was because I remember you mentioning you went to Moseley Art.

When I started the thread I said that I had never used the café because of two other good cafés nearby one was May's on the corner of Tillingham St and the other was Fred's on the corner of Highgate Rd an Kyrwicks Lane. I lived in Larches St which was at the same junction of Highgate Rd as Fred's.

Fred's was an institution and I knew him all my life from visiting my grandmother as a kid and later living there. We were always arguing about that tea urn of his I would never drink from it. Not even when he put a bottle of whisky in it at Christmas.

If you want you can see what I wrote about Fred's here at post #28

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6864&highlight=cafe&page=2

Phil

Lyn as promised here is an untouched copy of the photo. (hope this works)

Phil

SparkbrookHighateRdDelapidatedShopsPicture047.jpg

Olives cafe used to be a hairdressers run by Gladys Page who had 2 sons one was called Robin who would be about 69ish now.

Back