• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This? 161

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Staying with the theme of Café's (well sort of in this case) Its a case of if you used it you will recognise it. Those that didn't will find it difficult because its an inside view only.

Phil

xx-11.jpg

Phil,

A complete guess - The British Restaurant in Cambridge Street during the war.

Old Boy

I would guess some works canteen, other than that I've got no idea,apart from the other suggestion a British Restaurant somewhere !

Sorry no one is right yet, although a couple of you are travelling along the right lines.

Phil

Staying with the theme of Café's (well sort of in this case) Its a case of if you used it you will recognise it. Those that didn't will find it difficult because its an inside view only.

Phil

Phil: I have no idea where this cafe may be - but I'll take a guess that it is probably a "British Restaurant" somewhere...,!!!

Cheers,

Jim
icon14.gif

I would guess some works canteen, other than that I've got no idea,apart from the other suggestion a British Restaurant somewhere !

John: I have to apologise for repeating your suggestion about a British Restaurant - but as I was writing my post there came a knock at the door and I was detained for approximately one hour...!

When I got back to my computer I simply carried on writing and then submitted...!

Sorry.

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Are there not to many men for it to have been wartime. I have'nt a clue where or what it is though.

As I say a few of you have got the right idea (of sorts) but the wrong location.

Give it a while until those workers have got home from their hard days toil and if nobody gets it then I will give a few clues.

Phil

Its a railway station refreshment cafe, New St, Snow Hill or maybe Moor St, its before the advent of `elf & safety pin because the ladies are not wearing any head covering. Len.

i will go along with len..looks a bit art decoish type of buiding..the lady on the right appears to be holding a newspaper...date the 50s....

lyn

I dont reckon British Restaurant, Clothes fashions are 60s, there are at least 2 males with long hair, not a factory canteen, most people are wearing warm coats, one is wearing a hat, no overalls, no sideburns, so office types.

As a guess, Lyons cafe, not sure if it was New St or Waterloo St, but on the corner by the Town Hall should do.

Used to get my dinner in there on Fridays when I first started work.

Its reminiscent of the awful but cheap restaurant I used to use in the late 60s (when at the Matthew Boulton college in Horsefair) - in Henrys department store, Union Street. The saving feature was a copious supply of 'Daddies' brown sauce to cover the food's bland flavour!

Back