• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This? 145

Phil
If you hadn't mentioned moor St I would never have got it. Only then because it seemed the only place at the far end that seemed to be marked, and htn it seemed too narrow on the map. But, just now, on looking for where the name originated I've just found where you got the picture from.
mike

Mike

If you find out where the name originates from let me know, I would be interested in knowing. I think it has to be named after a person. With the double "N" I can't see it having anything to do with chickens.

Phil

Phil
From your last post i assume I was wrong in saying i knew where you got the picture from. It is in Part 2 of Carl chinns "The streets of Brum" with a note implying that the anme came from the Henn family, including john henn and Henry Henn who were businessmen in the city, though neither was associated particularly with the immediate area.. I think I may have found a better possible source. Looking at the 1855 directories, it seems as if then it was a cul de sac, only leading onto Dale End. It seems to have appeared after 1810, in as far as you can tell from the relatively crude maps of that period which didn'rt show narrow alleys/ways. The 1849 directory gives us a John Henn , Master of St Peters School , Dale end. This would have been close to the Church and, if it was next door, which seems reasonable, then Henns Walk would have run down the side of the school, The master could have given it his name
mike

Mike

As with many of my photos I can’t remember where I sourced this particular photo. It may well have been from where you indicate.

If that had have been the case though, then normally I would have read the book. Notwithstanding my ever failing memory I would have thought I would have retained some memory of the origins of the street.

I have to say that your version appeals to me more than the one advanced by Professor Chinn especially if those businessmen he mentions have no direct link with the area.

Phil

well done mike...henns walk was going to be my next guess...lol....

good one phil....cant wait for the next....

lyn

One last thing. which i should have done before. The 1855 directory confirms that the St peters school is betwen the church and Henns Walk, so that seems more reason to think that is the explanation for the name
Mike

Phil
From your last post i assume I was wrong in saying i knew where you got the picture from. It is in Part 2 of Carl chinns "The streets of Brum" with a note implying that the anme came from the Henn family, including john henn and Henry Henn who were businessmen in the city, though neither was associated particularly with the immediate area.. I think I may have found a better possible source. Looking at the 1855 directories, it seems as if then it was a cul de sac, only leading onto Dale End. It seems to have appeared after 1810, in as far as you can tell from the relatively crude maps of that period which didn'rt show narrow alleys/ways. The 1849 directory gives us a John Henn , Master of St Peters School , Dale end. This would have been close to the Church and, if it was next door, which seems reasonable, then Henns Walk would have run down the side of the school, The master could have given it his name
mike

My crystal ball (well, darkened book depositories in the education sector here in Wolverhampton LOL) give Henn's Walk as relating to a one Henry Henn, some kind of merchant in Bull Street. My divining rod is twitching in the direction of a listing of this Henry Henn in 'Sketchley's Trade Directory" of 1767 but we haven't got one of those in Wolverhampton.

Pearson & Rollason's directory of 1777 (reprinted in the late 1800s and on the net somewhere- I think on google books) lists Henry Henn as being at 70 Bull St, but I personally think John, being next to the walk, is a better bet
Mike

mike or phil was there a henn st if so could i have a map showing it please

thank you

lyn

thanks both yes i knew of henns walk..so the old photo i have here dated 1875 that says its henns st/balloon st is wrong?

Last edited:
I apologise Lyn. I was wrong. Going to give a map (1839) showing balloon st (below with balloon st in yellow) I did a bit of extra checking and found a Henns st after all which led off Staniforth st at 116 Staniforth st, which must make it the street in blue on the c1828 map below

1839.NE showing ballon st.jpg1828 map showing what must have been Henns St.jpg

Back