• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is This? 12

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
I am so confident that this will give trouble, I am going to give a clue at the outset "Look to the South" This building is still standing today although you may have a little trouble identifying it. It also until very recently still filled the same purpose.

Phil

xxx-31.jpg

It looks very much like the toll house at the Avoncroft museum.

Could be right Mike we went on courses close by from the council. A little pub close by called the Grass Hopper. Jean.

Nothing to do with a toll house, park or pub. Another clue its just over the border of Birmingham.

Going to bed soon Phill and will probably wake up in the night wondering where it is. Jean. ps. Did anyone guess where my photo's were taken?.

Jean

It has nothing to do with Wooton Wawen, anyway thats a little more than just over the border.

Phil

Hi maggie

No sorry, try a bit more s.e. as opposed to s.w. Another clue would be although I have no doubt someone lived there it was also a type of shop. I am looking for the location and type of shop.

Phil

Christy

No I'm sorry, nothing to do with Highgate Park, I think I said earlier there was no park connection

Phil

The only thing I can think of, and don't think it fits unless the roads have been altered a lot, is the house on the corner of Redditch Road and Back Road, Kings Norton Green. That has been a undertakers, and a butchers I believe, and dimly recall it was a house where the banker lived who originally ran the bank at what is now the Green island.

Ragga
no cemetery near to this place that I know of

Lloyd
its a little more S.E, just over the boundary of Birmingham

maggie
if you think that about 5 miles as the crow flies is close, then the answer is yes.

I have to pass by this place tomorrow, if it has not gone by then I will take a snap of how it looks today and put it up, that should be a big enough clue.

Phil

Hollywood (old) Post Office, Alcester Road / Dark Lane junction?

Edit. Replacement image - may vary from original lost image. This one is c1908. Viv.

EB876435-39C5-460F-BFA9-F5B4DC385981.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lloyd you are still nowhere near it, but you are on the right track.

Phil

As promised as I passed this location this morning, I took this snap from roughly the same spot. As you can see it has changed a little.

Surely somebody can identify it now?

Phil

OltonWarwickRdOltonPO.jpg

hi ya is it handsworth/west brom island rd / hollyhead rd junction? have,nt been that way in an age, regards derek.

Lloyd

Its Olton Post office on the corner of Warwick Rd and Ulverley Green Rd, Olton. Or rather it was until TB closed it down a couple of years back. Well done, its about time for you to give us one of your tram locations now. (remember a new thread)

Phil

Back