• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is it, Outside Birmingham #8

It must be Buckfast, and is a picture on its own. There are a few more to come.

Again I have had to clean it up, and can't believe the quality from some 50 years ago.

I certainly recognise it.
The area in front of the west door, which is was it seen, has changed. The area is paved with special bricks - done some years ago. For the 1000 year anniversary of the foundation of Buckfast in 2018 who whole of the interior and exterior of the Abbey was cleaned. It remains one of the principal attractions in Devon, but Covid-19 has, as for so many places, eliminated coach trips and many visitors. There have been many changes to the grounds and gardens since that photo. The National lavender collection is there and I believe there is something like 120 varieties. Many years ago, when visiting the place for a few days, I did guided tours when the residents (Benedictine monks) were needed for other work. A first port of call was to visit the Home Apiary (the others are sited on Dartmoor). Bees like to be informed about what has been happening is is about to. ;) The ancient granite cross has been re-sited.

Back