• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is it, Birmingham #9

Is the Parade usually Digbeth ? Doesn’t look like Digbeth though. Looks more like Broad Street to me. But there again ..... Viv.

that looks like a civic television shop so if anyone can recall where it was in maybe the city centre that would give us that photos location...

lyn

Rather a lot of them. From 1962 Kellys;
Civic Radio Services Ltd. radio & television dlrs. (office),
7/8 Easy row 1 (Midland 31211); 12/14 High st 8
(East 1620); 796 Stratford rd n (Springfield 2028);
288 Stratford rd. Sparkbrook 11 (Victoria 3942); 2272
Coventry xd1 26 {Sheldon 4819); 213 New John street
west 19 (Northern 4671); 53 'Lozells rd 19 (Northern
0252); 126 High st 23, (Brdington 0112); 2 Livery st 3
(Central 2540); 6 Albert st 4 (Midand 6801); 59
Warwick rd. Olton (Acocks Green 2642); 803 Warwick
rd 11 (Acocks Green 1118); 267 Coventry rd 10 (Victoria
4474); 867 Bristol road south 31 ^(Priory 5363);
service dept. Records & accessories, 1 Easy row 1 (Midland
546.7) & 156 High st 17 (Harborne 4234) & 38 Cape
hill 41. Smethwick 2767

St Patrick’s day parade sashes are often green with a yellow flash or stripe. Is the band Clive Fox Band ? Viv.

I thought Slieve Fox. (Mountain Fox I think.)
That building behind the pipers is a well known place, featured in posts on BHF I believe.

My uncle, who took the pictures, lost his right arm during the campaign in N Africa, he was in the Irish Fusiliers, although born in Aston. Would the band be associated?

Pedro,

Certainly not easy when shutters are invariably on the right hand side of the camera, even if situated on the top rather than the front as is now often the case. Well done, your uncle.

Maurice :cool:

Pedro,

Yes, I remember the Golden Hind replica from the early 60s, but I gather that there has been at least one more since then.
Memories of a somewhat disastrous holiday with my late brother-in-law and his wife, Their tastes were the exact opposite of my wife and I and in my experience those sort of family holidays later in life rarely work out.

No it is the same Golden Hind, built upwards from a barge (Thames I believe). It has had a couple of fires, which I attended and has been superficially changed over the years. It has only moved one - it went down the coast to Dartmouth where it sank alongside the river wall. Just the masts showing above the water line.
However there is another sea worthy Golden Hinde (note the 'e') which is at Southwark, London.
I think that ship was the one I saw one day - quote by chance - sail to the entrance of the inner harbour at Brixham, where the replica vessel lies, and fired a cannon then set sail back into Torbay (area of water named long before the place name).
I guess the cannon shot was a one-upmanship statement by the Golden Hinde which, I gather is a faithful replica and seaworthy. There have been many changes since the 1960's in Brixham, bit most places in the photos are quite recogniseable.

Thanks for the history, Alan, it's been a long time since I was down that way.

At the moment the only "Civic" I can find on a corner is on the corner of Edmund Street and Easy Row. It is in the 1960 phone book and on the 1955 map but had gone by mid 1960s. Problem is I can't remember the area well enough to know. Could the "older" building be the building marked on the map as University of Birmingham? So photo taken looking down Edmund Street as the parade turned onto Easy Row?
Just a suggestion.
1601988912236.png

Back