• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is it, Birmingham #11

I don’t personally know the park, but things that strike me about the photo are the formal (concrete) and manmade edge to the pool, what looks like an island in the middle of the pool, the row of weeping willows all along the edge of the pool and that the benches are all clustered together at a particular point. Why so many together at one point ? The view ? The boating arrangements ie is there a boathouse nearby ?

And maybe someone will recognise the boats in use. Viv.

Last edited:
Viv, There was a boat house, long gone as with most of the Birmingham Parks. In those days lots of the park lakes did have concrete edging and lots of neatly mowed grass, again not now done.

If it is Trittiford then there was a boat house on the lake - it would have been behind the trees which are actually on an island in the lake. The boat house has long gone but the island is still there and there are still benches. It does have a concrete edge.
Posting at same time as Morturn.

Perhaps the willow trees are still there. They’re equally spaced along the edge of the pool. Viv.

Found one willow by Trittiford Mill Pond - well as it was in 2002. Roughly in the right position in relation to the pond. Viv.

Attachments

• F16A8B21-CE41-4AB2-B034-801E021C4270.jpeg
    F16A8B21-CE41-4AB2-B034-801E021C4270.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 18
i have photos of trittiford farm and mill and this one of the park..albeit not very good but i think i see boats on the lakeYardley Wood Trittiford Park.JPG

Perhaps the willow trees are still there. They’re equally spaced along the edge of the pool. Viv.
I don't think the trees on the near edge are there any more. Last time I was there (just before life changed :) ) I don't remember them. Will check on Friday as all my photos are of a heron on the island. There is more land between path and lake on the far side so trees have remained.

Right here goes - photos from Trittiford Park this morning. Very difficult to judge as the trees are now so large and mature but Trittiford Entrance is roughly where Lyn's photo in post #11 was - you can just see the lake through the trees. The large tree in the centre is a willow.
I wasn't sure where to stand for the original photo so there are 2 shots (Trittiford and Trittiford Island) which I think show the curve of the bank and the larger island (there are actually 2). Very few benches and no willows on this side where the path is up to the water's edge. On the other side the path is further away from the lake and there are some very large willows.
I took a picture of the colours of the trees as well. Walking back down the far side I thought I was seeing things. The path has the lake to one side and then some grass before the river Cole meanders along. On the far side of that is some tatty grass and a fence beyond which are horses and riding stables. On my side of the fence next to the river but looking over the fence at the horses was a GOAT.

Attachments

• Trees at Trittiford.jpg
    Trees at Trittiford.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Trittiford entrance.jpg
    Trittiford entrance.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Trittiford Goat.jpg
    Trittiford Goat.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 22
  • Trittiford Island.jpg
    Trittiford Island.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Trittiford.jpg
    Trittiford.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 21
great photos jan thanks for taking them...i reckon we have the correct location and that goat looks just like the one i used to have his name was charlie...buts thats another story :D

I'm not sure but... I am surprised that a car is visible on the far side - I don't think cars would have been able to access the lakeside at Trittiford. Also the size of the nearest boat bothers me as the far side of the "island" at Trittiford is quite narrow. I also don't know how deep the lake is.
Other members might be able to shed more light on it.

I think your doubts are justified Janice. Although it was 1952 when I was last at Trittiford I never remember private vehicles being allowed inside the park. I doubt that has changed in the intervening yeras. The shape of the place also does not seem to fit my memory! :grinning:

My thoughts are; the first image is Coldbath pool and the second is Cannon Hill Park by the island. There is a roadway where the car is parked, not now open to traffic.

Is Coldbath Pool the one on Moseley Golf Course? Would it have had boats? Would a visitor be able to go and photograph it in the 1960s? The club opened in the 1890s.
Sorry for all the questions but I don't know that poll.

Thanks - I was puzzled. Trouble is the photos could be outside Birmingham.
So are you now suggesting the first isn't Trittiford?

Back