• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where in Birmingham was this taken ??

Great Picture Ragga I remember it well the morning of the bombing the area was still burning.

There used to be a Cafe over the roadwhich wasn't hit, Peacocks was round the corner into the Bull Ring, Times Furniture Shop was next to the space of the Co-op.

To the left of the YMCA was a 1000 lb bomb shell which had been converted to a large money box for donations can't remember what it collected for, it end up in enterance Hall Of Nechells "B" Power Station,

Wonder what has happened to it it was painted pillar box Red.

Ray

Is that the same red collection bomb that was in the market hall? I do remember that one.

Hi lloyd.

Yes it was in the old Market Hall before it was demolished, then I think it was moved to then Big Top Site next to the YMCA in picture.

I expect these days it would have disappeared over night for scrap.

That part of Birmingham used to be a very important area for travel with Worcester \street across the way , Midland Red booking office and entrance to th Queens Drive.

This was the old Birmingham I used love with it's history and the small alleyways leading to out of the way shops, Hitler done use no favours.

Ray

Can someone else make out where this was in Birmingham ? i cant remember ever seeing a danish bacon company in
Birmingham before ........... ragga :upset:

49.jpg

It says "James St" and "Vauxhall St" on the picture, and in the 1935 telephone directory has the Danish Bacon Co at Vauxhall St, Birmingham 4 (CENtral 7644). Over to someone with a pre-WW2 map handy...

Did it move to Kingstanding, because I am sure there was a Danish Bacon depot on the Kings Road, just past Shady Lane.?

Ragga
They were on the corner of Gem St & Vauxhall St until the mid 1960s. shown in red below

map_c1937__vauxhall_st_showing_danish_bacon_co.jpg

Hi Lloyd.

It is as you say the Danish Bacon Co. Ltd both the white building & the brick built round the corner.

Vauxhall Street ran from 41 Stafford Street to Gem Street, James Street ran from 2 Brook Street to Vauxhall Street.

Thanks Lloyd and Mikejee especially for the map , I imagined it was somewhere in Hockley somehow .
thanks again .......... ragga
:smug:

702_001.jpg5826082342_ce86dc00f4_b.jpg

Can anyone of you work out where these were in Birmingham ???
thanking you in advance.......... ragga :fat:

Thanks Mikejee , ive been comparing the shop photo to the now photo from streetview
and i think you are right . The position of the windows and the roof/guttering are the same.
thanks again Ragga :fat:

ps any clues to the first one btw ??

The first picture is Bournville. It was houses that were built exclusively for workers and their families. Put the french title from tje picture maisons ouvrieres a birmingham into google and you will see the info under Wikepedia

police bikes.jpgBit of a longshot ...... but does any of you old timers reconize the location of this piccy .
Thanks in advance ....... ragga:fat:

Ragga

The building on the corner is the old Library at Gosta Green and the bikes are on Aston Road or is it Street I'm never quite sure.

Ragga

A couple of better photos of the background for you.

Attachments

• Gosta Green Fountain (2).jpg
    Gosta Green Fountain (2).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Gosta Green Library - Drinking Fountain 1910 .jpg
    Gosta Green Library - Drinking Fountain 1910 .jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 42
yes phil
coming up the aston road north from the aston cross passing gosta green ; drinking trough and making there way back to duke street
and around the back and hat big bulding you see was the nurses quarters for staff at the old general hospital;
and when the big fire across the rd years later from central ;fire started it almost engulfed that block
but with the fire station next door and the factory of samuels they openened there doors and stood facing it as the flames was coming across the rd to the block of nurse they had to be evacuated ;
best wishes to you all astonian;;

Ragga, not only do I know where it is but my Dad is the rider on the right in the second row , at a guess I think February 1953
First outing for the,big bikes. BSA Gold Flash. based at Duke Street.

waverley.jpg

Found this photo the other day and i imagined this cafe was somewhere in Small Heath:pride: but i could be wrong .
Answers please ........... Thanking you all in advance.
ragga :fat:

Back