• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where in Birmingham was this taken ??

12.jpg18.jpg17.jpg

3 photo 3 locations does anyone know where in birmingham they were taken ?? because I dont ....... ragga :ambivalence:

the 39 bus just left the old henrys store heading back to aston via costa green aston rd north to witton
the old union street the windows in the back ground are the new moderen small windows that replaced the herys big windows
astonian;;;;;

If you look at the buildings to the left of the Wheatsheaf in the original photo, and then compare them with the buildings in the photo I have posted you will see that they are the same and therefore the only possible location the photo could have been taken is from the top of Severn Street just before the dog leg turn into Blucher Street.

Phil

Not only, but in the middle of the larger photo (in the centre on the left side of the smaller) can be seen half of the distinctive red and white brickwork of Birmingham Garages. This will have been the main public entrance in Suffolk Street, whilst the other entrance to the workshops was round the corner separately in Navigation Street.

Well done Astonian, very close mossg! :encouragement:
3176 (MOF 176) - The Brook Cafe was at 70, Hockley Hill - almost at the bottom of the Hill, I'd guess the bus was heading back to depot.
2118 (JOJ 118) - As Astonian says, Union St with the old Henrys store in the background.
1657 (HOV 657) - Newton St, between Steelhouse Lane (to the left of the photo) and Corporation St (behind the photographer). The buildings are still much the same, but the street is now a cil-de-sac, closed at the Corporation St end.

Well done Astonian, very close mossg! :encouragement:
3176 (MOF 176) - The Brook Cafe was at 70, Hockley Hill - almost at the bottom of the Hill, I'd guess the bus was heading back to depot.
2118 (JOJ 118) - As Astonian says, Union St with the old Henrys store in the background.
1657 (HOV 657) - Newton St, between Steelhouse Lane (to the left of the photo) and Corporation St (behind the photographer). The buildings are still much the same, but the street is now a cil-de-sac, closed at the Corporation St end.

Just a couple of Queries Photo 2 wasn,t the Old Henrys on the corner of Martineau St (the new one was in Union St )so the bus would have been in Bull St.

Photo3 I agree with your location but what was the Hall Green bus be doing down this end,it looks like it,s carrying passengers.Dek

I didn't really know the area in those days, but here is a copy of Astoness' map with the Bartons Arms marked (Red) and the original 33 route (Green).
I'm assuming Alma Street had closed and the diversion took it further along Birchfield Rd to be able to access Summer Lane.

The building seen side on looks like a cinema, there is some sort of sign high up on the front (which we can only see the side of) but I do not recognise it.

The early Indian Restaurant mentioned was the Shah Jahan, on the corner of Stafford St and Coleshill St, seen behind the bus in the other photo below.

The Shah Jahan was where I had my first Indian meal.

I can't see the picture but I used to go to Stafford Street almost everyday.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

3 Images i am unsure about especially No 3
On No 2 image looking at the amount of
cars parked there would that be a pub on
the right hand corner , if so what was the
name please ??? and is it still standing today
as a pub ?? ragga
:courage:

Photo #3 is just off Broad Street. The building to the left is the Brewmasters House (Birmingham Breweriy). Brewmasters House is still there but the buildings to the right have gone. Viv.

Just a couple of Queries Photo 2 wasn,t the Old Henrys on the corner of Martineau St (the new one was in Union St )so the bus would have been in Bull St.

Photo3 I agree with your location but what was the Hall Green bus be doing down this end,it looks like it,s carrying passengers.Dek

Yes dek, a bit of irrational thinking there on my part. The new Henrys was Union Street and it's the first name that came to mind.
Newton St - I'm not sure, but at that time (note Gas light on pavement) there was a lot of redevelopment going on, part of the proper route might have been temporarily closed.

WOW , Thanks Mikejee , ive compared the 2 views and i think you are right like you said much has change around there.
on the streetview you uploaded the grass has overgrown the foundations of the pub (queens head )
thank you ......... ragga

Thank you Vivienne for putting No3 to bed , i must take a look the next time im in Broad Street .
regards ragga

Ragga
i'm not 100% certain, but thibk no 2 may be the junction of Garrison Lane & Midland St, which would make the pub the Queens Head. If so the pub was there in a derelict state a few years ago, as i remember seeing it often from the train, but was demolished a few years ago. The approximate view now would be at https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Mi...=UTARNI0ZSalAsEuQOgpCNg&cbp=12,294.92,,0,0.07
Mike
Hiya,I think you are right,But It's Garrison Street & Midland Street where the bridge crossed.
IMGP3304.JPG

Without a doubt it is as Mike says the junction of New Street - High Street the big top site

Attachments

• City New St 1947 ad.JPG
    City New St 1947 ad.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 74
I can certainly remember that YMCA building, have actually been inside more than once but for the life of me cannot remember which street it was in. Eric

Back