• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where in Birmingham was this taken ??

Was interested to see the police phone on the corner in the photo,, Some time ago I asked on a thread about Telephones in Birmingham if anyone remembered the police phone boxes. Also I remember fire alarms on street corners. Does anyone have photos showing these?
This is a photo of a City of London Police box on the Embankment still there but in a derelict state.

View attachment 66452

Hi Dek,there is no pub on the picture,the building to the left of the bus is George Baines the bakers.The last building on the right was i think the Municipal Bank.
There was a pub on the corner beyond the bank,it was called "The Red House" and was demolished shortly before this picture was taken.I hpoe someone out there has a picture of it as i have yet to see one.Moss.

hi moss....ive got the red house for you...will download and post under the pubs thread asap.

lyn

Last edited:
Don,t know for sure Ragga i,m not a bus man it just looks like the Dudley Rd to me I may be wrong I often am.Dek:):):)

That picture was taken from the forecourt of the Kings Head pub, Hagley Road, looking along Bearwood Road. Don't understand the Birmgham bus because it was certainly off route showing a 91. Also it was a rare BCT bus having platform doors. At the time that this photo was taken no buses ran from the Kings Head junction into Bearwood Road as that was the boundary between BCT and Midland Red and it was only later that the Outer Circle was diverted to run this way.. The photo was taken c1970 after the formation of WMPTE. Bus in front is interesting as I suspect it is an ex West Bromwich Corporation bus on service 220 or 221 repainted in WMPTE colours

This photo is worth reposting on the Birmingham Buses thread with my note above to see if the bus experts have any further comments

Last edited:
Another way of confirming David's post might be via the 'phone number over the chemist doorway. It's a 429 area code. You could look up chemists for the area in 1970s. Roundabout route perhaps, just like the #91 bus in the pic! Viv.

Thank you David I can see where you mean for a second I thought where are the Traffic lights ( as I remember they were always there)but I can see them.I wonder what ever happened to the clock at the Kings Head as I was often sent to repair it back in the 60s.Dek

429 was the old BEArwood Exchange.

It was in that chemist shop that I bought my first decent camera having saved up my money from my first three months at work.

Looking again at the photo John is correct the bus is turning right, I thought it was going straight ahead, which means that it was on the old route of the outer circle via Hagley Road and Barnsley Road. At that time all sorts of buses where serving the number 11. I even saw ex Coventry Corporation buses still in their brown and cream livery on the no 11.

Viv's pointing out of the Subway sign has thrown me a bit as this photo was taken before the widening of the Hagley Road but the widening of the Hagley Road West (to the left of the picture) must have come earlier than the Hagley Road. The junction is changing again this year and the subway will be taken out.

Actually Dek the traffic lights weren't always there. I go back to when there was a roundabout there when I used to pass this way on my bike going to school. This was before they brought in the rule about giving way to the right and the roundabout used to completely lock up in rush hours as every body tried to edge onto the roundabout. Thats why they put the traffic lights there

Up to now I hadn't seen a rear-end view of 2847 with its platform conversion. The result is far from pretty to put it mildly!

I suspect as 2847 was turning right into Hagley Road it was on service 11c but the conductor hasn't got the first part of the number blind right.

Yes turning from Lordswood Rd onto Hagley Rd, having just terminated a "short" working to the King's Head as an 11E. ('E' for 'Extra'). The "9" on the back is just something wound up quickly, there are no passengers but the conductor is upstairs, front seat, leaning forward changing the front blind (probably to "Special"). I'm fairly certain 2847 was a Perry Barr garage bus at the time.
The Bus on Bearwood Rd is indeed a former West Bromwich one, on the 220 or 221.

The chemist's shop had never been refitted inside, and when the owner retired the fittings were carefully removed and saved (where??) and the estate agent brought in to sell the property bought it themselves. A prime location!

View attachment 67370

This is a fabalous picture of GEO 636 (1636) But photo caption says
bus terminus Five ways Stechford , where in stechford was the 36
terminus ??? old age must be catching up on me :(
ragga :)

Ragga I think I know where that is,the top end of Stuart Rd with the rd on the right at the top being Yardley Fields Rd. Dek

Thanks Dek & lloyd for your input:) so your saying it over the road from the Richmond pub ??
ragga :)

Lloyd may be able to help me and put me right on this one.I assume the 36 went up to the 5 ways island to turn round and come back down Richmond Rd but I seem to remember at a later date the buses using Stuart Rd to turn round. The route being up Richmond Rd round the island down Stuart Rd down Bordesley Green East and turn left back into Richmond Rd by the pub I am not a bus man but maybe these newer buses had a larger turning circle and could not manage the complete turn at that little island. Dek

For a short while in the post-deregulation era Midland Red won some contracts for Centro, one of which was the 36 route (possibly Sundays?) and I drove it a couple of times. We used Bordesley Green East - Stuarts Rd - Richmond Rd as a turning circle, any waiting time was at that stop in Richmond Rd, the official terminal point. I don't know how long the island has been in place at the five ways junction, but without one turning a bus there would have been too dangerous. We used 36 ft long Leyland Nationals and Leyland Lynxs, which had very good turning circles (Maypole Lane / Highters Heath Lane island, for instance for 180 degree turn rounds on Sunday journeys on 49 and 69), but on the 36 there was a stop in Stuarts Rd, close to the island, making it necessary to follow that route.

Thank Lloyd I,ve got it now it was in the other direction although I never used that bus route I had a girlfriend up by the Blakesley Pub for some time and walked up and down Stuarts Rd hundreds of times. Dek

Nice photo of the Richmond Bill sadly now gone and replaced by a very boring Health Centre. Dek

Dek, That is a photo of the Kings Head, Bearwood from the previous photo posted by Ragga not the Richmond which we have now gone on to

Yes it is David so sorry, I can see it now I never opened the attachment (still no sign of the clock though I think it was a little further down the road.Dek

Sorry if I have caused confusion, it was supposed to be atached to the section showing the rear of a bus, my photo is he other side looking towards Lordwood Road.

Back