• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where in Birmingham was this taken ??

I don't see any other way than to have improved roads as most of us drive cars, you wouldn't be able to move if Birmingham hadn't moved on.
I don't shed tears tears about that.
Just my opinion.
Nick

Thank you Richie / Dek / Guilbert :)
I have now got my bearings to the photo i posted
Ragga :)

As to Brummie Nicks post im off to study the photos now .
ragga :)

I don't see any other way than to have improved roads as most of us drive cars, you wouldn't be able to move if Birmingham hadn't moved on.
I don't shed tears tears about that.

Well on that principle anything is fair game to be knocked down so we can put a motorway through the area.

The area around the existing library has some wonderful buildings knocked down to make way for that 1970s concrete monstrosity, including Joshia Mason Science College.

Does it not bother you that buildings like this below were knocked down to make way for part of the ring road, and the existing library?

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=8815&d=1187602151

I agree with you Gilbert the planners of the 60s-70s put the car as king with a little more vision we would have had a great city centre second to none now that would have had the tourist flooding in. Dek

Ragga
At first I thought it might be at Bournville factory. They did have a fire brigade and might well have had visits from the city brigade, but, if so then it must be a part long gone. However, although I cannot say exactly where, it does fit with this photo. The building in it seems to be the end of the building in your photo.

NOTE: Below is the photograph I believe I posted and also the one I believe Ragga posted,

firebrigadedrill.jpg

birminghamfirebrigade_.jpg

you know something Mikejee , i think you are right the building looks cadburyish .
and the building in your photo looks the same .
Thanks ........ ragga:)

Sylvia

After consulting some other old photos of Park Lane I now tend to agree with you but it was very similar at one time even down to the new block of flats.

Phil

I know,it was taken in Wheeler St,Hockley.Between Bridge St West and New John St West,looking towards town.The bus is a city bound 69.Moss.

moss you are right i thought i knew that view but its nothing to do with wheeler st as i didnt recognise that..the block of flats being built would be geach tower where i lived for 6 years and the building you see beyond that are maisonettes ...thanks for posting it ragga ive not seen a pic of that end of wheeler street till now...

lyn

Last edited:
There looks like a pub on the corner(what would have been New John St West)any idea of it,s name ?? Dek

looks like it could be a pub dek...no idea which one though..if it was one moss would know...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Dek,there is no pub on the picture,the building to the left of the bus is George Baines the bakers.The last building on the right was i think the Municipal Bank.
There was a pub on the corner beyond the bank,it was called "The Red House" and was demolished shortly before this picture was taken.I hpoe someone out there has a picture of it as i have yet to see one.Moss.

hi moss...i was really delighted to see the pic ragga had posted...ive just added the red house pub to my list of pics to search for at the library...there will be one out there im sure:)

lyn

Hi all. There's a Post Office a bit further down from the Bank too. Think it's boarded up though. Nice couple of Mini's in the foreground. Viv.

Just confirmation of what you are saying, an extract from 1950's Kelly's showing the shops that can be seen on the right hand side. If you look closely you can see the last shop is indeed P.G.Aston.

Red House P.H. Chas. Hy. Stokes
7 Birmingham Municipal Bank
9 Foster Jas. A. Ltd. chemists

11 Chambers Hy. B
11 TOWN SUB-POST & M. O.
Office
13 Aston P. G. Wireless repr

Phil

thanks phil..what a shame that the red house pub that was on the corner had not long been demolished...its another mission now to find a pic of it...

lyn

Sorry for delay in getting back to you all but ive had a nasty head cold over the weekend :(
Anyway back to the photo from post 41 , at first i thought it was around Balsall heath or
maybe hockley way and the bus was on the no 8 inner circle but looking closely its a 2
figure number so mossg could be right number 69 in which you all suggested it could
be in the area of new john street west , can someone tell me if that block of flats being
built , is it still standing today ?? and what is the road called where the bus is travelling up ??
thank you ragga :)

Hello ragga the block of flats are still there on New John St West(built on the end of Gt Hampton Row) and the bus is on Wheeler St going towards town. Dek

Thank you so much Dek carr , ive got the bearing with the photo now ,
when i was small we never venture that far up we stuck to the lozells end .
ragga :)

thanks again ragga for that great pic...first one of that end of wheeler st that i have seen..the block of flats you see being built was one in a line of 5 along new john st west and i had the misfortune to live in that one for 6 years before escaping...we had teviot..rea..geach..scofield towers..cant recall the name of the 5th at the min...here is a pic of them taken in the 60s i would think and just showing a few houses left in new john st west...

lyn

Back