• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where do I go from here?

johnbluebeam

Brummie babby
I have a theory that my Gt.Gt.grandfather and his wife split up around 1854.
My Gt.Gt.grandfather took the first born son and went his own way, later,I believe, bigamously remarrying. The marriage certificate does not show his fathers name.
My Gt.Gt.grandmother appears to have had two children by the other gentleman. The birth certificates show one child with the original partners christian name and the other with the new partners christian name. The surname has been kept the same.

Is there likely to be any sort reference material available at Birmingham Library that could throw light on who was living where and with who? I have them on the census records but wondered if there was any interim records available.

Any other hints would be most welcome.

John.

You might be lucky and find them on electoral rolls (but as not everyone had a vote that is a slim chance). There are also the Birmingham rates books. Both are easier to use online although only some years are on Ancestry.

If you give a name then I will see if I can spot them.

Janice

You might be lucky and find them on electoral rolls (but as not everyone had a vote that is a slim chance). There are also the Birmingham rates books. Both are easier to use online although only some years are on Ancestry.

If you give a name then I will see if I can spot them.

Janice

Thanks for that. From 1871 onwards one family is Joseph and Jemima Watts, the other is James and Elizabeth Watts. Generally lived around Aston and central Birmingham.

John

Back