• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where did you live

Hi I was born at the Sorrento maternity hospital in October 1959 and lived in 167 Stoney Lane where my father had his barber shop called Nick and also Nicholas. I was at the Anderton Park primary school . I have lovely memories of those days, many friends and very good teachers Mrs Busby, Miss Healy Mr Sloan. Been living there till 1969 then moving to Italy as my parents were Italian. I live in central Italy I love it but a piece of my heart remains in Birmingham.
do you remember a mr and mrs renwick at 182 stoney lane 1962

Some places I lived: Palace Rd Small Heath left 1965, then Overpool Rd Ward End. Married a year at Ladypool Rd Sparkbrook then Heath Street Winson Green. Also Greenway St & Boulton Road Small Heath, couple more Arlington Rd Highters Heath to Kings Road Kings Heath, then left Brum in the late 80s.

I lived in Imperial Road up to 1963, then moved to Australia. I don't remember name of kids I would have known in those days. Do you remember the underground air raid shelter on the Palace road side.?

Ernie

Hi Ernie, I lived in Palace Road in the 50s & 60s, and we used to play on the bombed buildings, but I don't remember an underground air raid shelter, whereabouts was it? My friend Susan Jackson lived in Imperial Road and we both went to Marlborough Road Secondary School.

Hi Ernie, I lived in Palace Road in the 50s & 60s, and we used to play on the bombed buildings, but I don't remember an underground air raid shelter, whereabouts was it? My friend Susan Jackson lived in Imperial Road and we both went to Marlborough Road Secondary School.
Hi Pat, thanks for your reply. I Googled the area I mentioned and found it is Charles road, whoops.
I lived at 73 Imperial Road and also went to Marlborough Road School. left in 1953. some of the teachers I remember were,Mr Bevan science teacher, Miss Olive Blower, Headmaster H.H.L. Smith, woodwork Mr Twite, J. A.Shelly.
I visited the School when I was over many years ago and found it was only a Junior school. During my time. I went to Marlborough for Primary, then to Somerville Road Junior School, then back to Marlborough for years 12 to 15years.
Our sports ground was Belchers Lane which we walked to and from school.
Please let me know any information of your time there I would be interested to here from you.
Ernie

Hi Ernie, thanks for your reply and info. I attended Marlborough Road Infant School aged 5yrs in 1954 and the Head Teacher was Mrs Onions and our teacher Mrs Leer/Beer I think, she was always angry and shouting, er horrible, and made us spend lessons learning to roll our R's, and at school dinners she forced me to eat a tomato, and it made me sick and I put it in the pocket of my dress yuk. One day I was late for school, and couldn't stop crying as she would be angry, but when I got into the class, she was not there that day, and Mrs Onions was taking the class, and she just kept smiling at me, so kind.
Then I went to Somerville Junior School, only remember my friend Olive Horn, as her mom looked after me after school, and back to Marlborough Road Secondary School, and I remember Mr Bevan who gave me 80% for science on my school report (I still have my school reports for the first 2 years when I attend and left in the summer before 3rd before as we moved to Ward End). Also, remember Miss Olive Blower, and the Head Teacher was Miss Fairhead (my 3 older siblings, Dorothy, Margaret & David, also attended, and by the time I started there David was in his last year. Luckily for me I was good at Sports and their were two PE Teachers, one not popular with most students and the other, Miss Stretton I think, was the other PE Teacher and took us for swimming lessons at Small Heath Swiming Baths and I got my free swimming passes each year, and put me in the Galas each year and during classes I was allowed to got swimming with her and the other class groups she was taking swimming that day, and that's how I got to know Susan Jackson, as she was an amazing swimmer and diver, the best in the school, but wouldn't take part in the Galas (we're in touch on Facebook now).

The other PE teacher, would love to know her name, as my memory of her was good, as she encouraged me in gymnastics and got me to join 'Torture Club" on a Friday night, where I was amazed at the skills, and at one point she got me into Birmingham Athletics Institute (BAI), but I wasn't keen as all they got me doing was forward rolls and they were also mainly adults doing basic gymnastics, and no one spoke to me, so left (my youngest daughter is now a Gymnastic/Dance Teacher and found of Rising Stars Acadamy Bromsgrove, and she went to Gymnastics classes aged 8yrs in Small Heath, the modern school by Somerville Road and was entered into competitions). Mom didn't like Miss Fairheard, can't remember why, neither did a lot of the Students. In second year, the last year I attended, our teacher was Mr Brown, although we attended different classes depending on the subject and with different teacher. Regards Pat

HI SDUG I WAS BORN IN WEOLEY CASTLE BIRMINGHAM ON DECEMBER 10TH 1955. AT THE AGE OF 4 WE MOVED TO A HALF WAY HOUSE IN HOCKLEY BIMINGHAM. AND AT THE AGE OF 5 WE GOT A HOUSE IN UPPER WEBSTER STREET NUMBER 13. THEN AT THE AGE OF 9 WE MOVED TO LICHFIELD. GOT MARRID AT THE AGE OF 17 AND MOVED TO RUGELEY IN STAFFORDSHIRE WERE I STILL RESIDE.

donkey (slightly of subject) I thought they never used the number 13 in house numbering, round here they all go from 11 to 15 ? Eric

They did tend to avoid the number 13 on houses, but there were a few number 13’s if you looked. My home in Erdington was numbered 15 but would have been 13 if it had have been used.

They did tend to avoid the number 13 on houses, but there were a few number 13’s if you looked. My home in Erdington was numbered 15 but would have been 13 if it had have been used.
Our apartment block in Stratford-Upon-Avon was built in 2001 missed out the 13. Our plot is numbered 13 on plans but we are Numbered 14.

I lived in Victoria Street.... the Small Heath end.... top end of the street was Bordesley Green.... garden was full of bus tickets, blown from the open rear platforms of the No. 8.
I now live in Dorset.. house No. 13.
Annie

Born in Lincolnshire, as father was based there in RAF. Father was born Aston and Mother Brookfields. I have lived in lots of places depending on where Dad was stationed including Sutton Coldfield, Germany and Holland. After dad came out the RAF in 1963 we found our way back to the loving arms of Birmingham and lived initially at My Nan's on Quinton Road West, we then moved to Kings Heath Broad Lane and lived for a couple of yours in an old black and white bungalow, when they wanted to demolish this to make way for new housing we moved to Sheldon Horrell Road, Kings Heath Springfield Road (parents bought first house here), Drews Lane (parents had shop here), Erdington Wood End Lane, Handsworth Wood Browns Green and Currently live in Great Barr. I consider myself a Brummie as the roots of all my family are here and I do not know Lincolnshire very well at all, this is where I call home.

Fazeley Street, almost opposite the Waterways building, with a boneyard behind. Car parking now. That covered my primary school years.
Then Hollyberry Croft in Shard End for my grammar school years.
Left Brum for further education from there and lived in Malvern.
Married in Malvern, and moved to West Malvern. 'Our' first house.
Then Hunt End, a district of Redditch for a few years. That became part of Redditch with a new encircling road through the fields behind us. Didn't like that so off we went.
Off to Somerset, not far from Bridgwater, for 25 years. Our old place is now two places where a new bungalow was built in 'our grounds' after we left.
Now the LOT, in south west France, in a small village not too far from Cahors. No further moves planned. Well retired here with plenty of space.
We are only one day apart in ages, (I'm the toy boy for one day a year) so our life stages have been well synchronised.

This site keeps me anchored to my roots.

Andrew.

I lived in Victoria Street.... the Small Heath end.... top end of the street was Bordesley Green.... garden was full of bus tickets, blown from the open rear platforms of the No. 8.
I now live in Dorset.. house No. 13.
Annie
Hi Annie,
all the time I knew you at Little Green Lane School and seeing you at my wedding, I never remembered you living in Victoria Street. I lived in the Prince Albert Street. Ray.

Back