• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where did you live

My mother in a nursing home in Yardley at just short of ninety years old would eat a huge midday meal and pudding then when asked what she'd had would say "They haven't brought my dinner yet."

One day I asked her what her mother's maiden name was, "Taylor." was the immediate answer.

The memory needs a defragmentation programme like the computer.

Eric,

Is it a case of we don't want to remember much about today's rather nasty world? No manners, no honour and more crime than you could throw a stick at. I'm fortunate in that where I live there is almost no crime at all, and children are very respectful of their elders, but I can't get away from reading about what happens in the UK.

Maurice :cool:

Eric,

Is it a case of we don't want to remember much about today's rather nasty world? No manners, no honour and more crime than you could throw a stick at. I'm fortunate in that where I live there is almost no crime at all, and children are very respectful of their elders, but I can't get away from reading about what happens in the UK.

Maurice, you are blessed! Or just darn lucky but that's wonderful...……..

I am indeed, Richard. Greek islands are still mainly rural and very traditional with a strong sense of family. The majority of farming here is of the subsistence variety with long hours worked and family members pitching in. Very little industry simply because the majority of raw materials would have to be brought in by ferry, and probably the majority of finished goods would be bought by people not living on the island, so more ferry costs again. With the exception of a few medical doctors and a few laywers, anyone graduating from a university knows that their only option for finding appropriate work is to move abroard. So life on this, the largest of the Greek islands, is still very traditional, and I think that most people would like to keep it that way. But there are outside interferences such as TV and the internet, and I can see that these may be the source of problems for future generations.

It was actually planned when we moved here with a good prior knowledge of the eastern end of the island before we did so. My late daughter had lived here for several years in the 1990s and her husband remarried a local girl after her death and lives a few miles away. Having worked in the UK for several years, his English is a darned sight better than my Greek will ever be!

Hi again Lyn
I have also had many name changes over the years,can't say I enjoyed all of them
When I joined Farm St I was in class 3B, teacher Miss Yen. Moved to the annexe next school year in 4A with Mr Davies. Two names I recall from that year are William (Billy)Boyle and Sandra Rose. I had two younger brothers at the school,Kenny and Peter.

NoddKD

Hi NoddKD, the name Sandra Rose seems to ring a bell, did she ever attend Harry Lucas in farm street?

Lozellian.

Hi NoddKD, the name Sandra Rose seems to ring a bell, did she ever attend Harry Lucas in farm street?

Lozellian.
Hi Lozellian,
From my previous and current posts with Astoness I believe Sandra went to Lozells Girls School.
Sandra lived at the far side of Burberry St park.(the far side from Farm St that is.)

Lived in Bell Barn Road 1950 with Grand Parents, then moved to our first house just around the corner in Clifton Grove Edgbaston (1953), moved to Lea Village in 1961 and then in 1963 we moved back to Edgbaston and had a upper floor maisonette in Rickman Drive over looking the Park with the Bristol Cinema, The Sun Pub, St Lukes Church and a wooden hut that was the Ford dealership, I remember them promoting the then new Ford Anglia, all this was just across the way. #happydays

Born at Sorrento Maternity Hosp. Moseley 1946.
As a baby Albert Rd, Stechford.
1947 - 1967 William Cook Road Ward End
Coleshill
Aldridge
Coleshill (second time)
Redditch
Kings Norton
Harborne

2003 - to date, Somerset. Phew I think that's it now.

Although Somerset is a beautiful place to live I miss Birmingham (my roots) every day - WHY?

There are a lot of Brummies down here, and I find myself levitating towards the accent.
Born at Sorrento Maternity Hosp. Moseley 1946.
As a baby Albert Rd, Stechford.
1947 - 1967 William Cook Road Ward End
Coleshill
Aldridge
Coleshill (second time)
Redditch
Kings Norton
Harborne

2003 - to date, Somerset. Phew I think that's it now.

Although Somerset is a beautiful place to live I miss Birmingham (my roots) every day - WHY?

There are a lot of Brummies down here, and I find myself levitating towards the accent.
I moved to Somerset from Kings Heath 2005 miss the friendliness and sense of humor us Brummies have

Hi cast alla
Funny you have mentionioned the Sorrento hospital I came down wake green road. Today and I remember it very well and Astbrook road
Many years ago I done a lot of work along that road but getting back to the Sorrento hospital
As I was passing I came to the part where the old hospital used to be its all gone as we all know new houses and flats are there now
But one big house on the pillars of the house on entry it said Sorrento court obvisiosly be the old hospital its named after
And emediatele as I am driving along I said to myself ah yes I will put that on the forum tonight because its been ten years since that was last mentioniond on here
All people have been going on about dudley red and other hospitals but never mention ion the Sorrento hospital so I thought I would also mention it now
And may be some one else as member was born there or have memorises of it I can recall when it closed down and was sold off in time gone bye best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,,,,
I had my son at the Sorrento in 1978,went to open day of special care unit he was in just before it closed ,shame all built on now

Already posted my previous Perry Barr birthplace but thought I'd post all my other locations. Dewsbury Grove Perry Barr, Water Orton, Cheswick Green, Ushaw Moor Durham, The Avenue Durham City, South Crescent Durham, Heald Green Manchester, Bramhall Stockport, Helsby Cheshire, Manley Cheshire, Beacon Cornwall, Wheal Vor Helston Cornwall, Torquay, Helston town and that's it no more.

I was born 1947 in Dudley Road hospital,lived down The Pleck Park Road,Hockly went to Benson Road primary then Handsworth New Road girls 1970 moved to Kings Heath,now living in Clevedon Somerset.Miss Brum that's why I was so pleased to find this forum

First home I recall was in a caravan on a farm near Bromsgrove! Wish I knew the name of it or where it could have been exactly. I remember excitement when one of the boar pigs escaped and rampaged around the caravans! Then Chinnbrook Road Billesley, then Kipling Road Northfield.

Born at home 1947 Cranbourne Road Kingstanding. Farthest I have lived from Brum was Streetly for 22years.
Back in Brum since 1999. Just downsized a year ago the only guilt I have about that is that we brought a old style council house which has been modified somewhat. Great neighbours, mixed community, people saying hello especially to my husband who is a very keen gardener. I love being a brummie.

The two recent posts deleted by a Moderator are disgraceful and should not be taken by any new member - whom we warmly welcome - as typical of the attitudes and spirit prevalent within the Forum. They make accusations of bias on the part of individual members of the Moderating Team which I know for a fact, having been a Moderator for over a decade, are entirely unfounded. And take absolutely no account of the way that the present Team do their best to keep this show on the road and make the Forum an informative, orderly and COURTEOUS place to be. Members who feel this way may well find it useful to refresh their memory of the Forum rules, to which we all are subject. And to look out for a further statement on this matter.

Chris

Back