• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where did you live

Hi,
Born in Sacramento Hospital. Lived at 44 Ash Road, where my grandparents moved to, in the 30's from Crawford Street. I lived there until the seventies. My mother lived there most of her life until she died there in 2011 at the age of 80.

Hi,
Born in Sacramento Hospital. Lived at 44 Ash Road, where my grandparents moved to, in the 30's from Crawford Street. I lived there until the seventies. My mother lived there most of her life until she died there in 2011 at the age of 80.

I am researchning my ancestry snd have found my Grandparents marriage certificate from March 1918. It says they wer both living in Clarendon Street, one at 2/78 and the other at 116. Does Clarendon St still exist anf has anyone got any info they can share from this time period? TIA

Clarendon St no longer exists.

There's a bit about it here...

I was born in Solihull in 1953. Moved to Palmerston Rd Sparkbrook.
Then Ladywood Rd in ,well, Ladywood.
Monument Rd,Edgbaston.
Wellesley St,Hockley.
Circular Rd Acocks Green.
Joined the Royal Marines and been here there and everywhere but never lived in Brum again.
Like Pedlarman I joined the Royal Marines at Deal in Kent for basic training in 1969. Years later I served 2 years there and lived in a flat on the seafront just along from the time ball tower (for those that know Deal)The barracks are all flats now.
Sorry for the post swerve,got carried away.

NoddKD

there is a thread for wellesley st where i have posted a lot of old photos

lyn

Thanks Lyn
I joined this site having found those pictures whilst looking elsewhere on line. My brother has commented on them elsewhere. They brought back quite a few memories. We only lived there for 2 years. I may have posted this info previously;I attended Farm St and Icknield St schools.
Now you have reminded me of them I think I'll pop down our end again and have another look.

Thanks again
NoddKD

same as me nodd...went to farm st school...gone now of course...happy days though

lyn

same as me nodd...went to farm st school...gone now of course...happy days though

lyn
Been back down our end and reading through the threads you must have been at Farm St either one year behind me or in the same year. My name in those far off days was Bernard Dunn.I left Farm St in summer of 1964.Went to Icknield St,I wanted to go to Harry Lucas around the corner;mum said I couldn't, no idea why.Left Hockley about February 1965.
May I be nosey? In your earlier posts you are called Wales,why is that?

NoddKD

yes i think a year above or behind would be about right but your name rings no bells im afraid..i was born in 53...you have most likely seen it but there is also a thread for farm st school... you are also the first one to ask about why i called myself wales...when i first joined the forum many moons ago i didnt really know what i was doing not being technical (still dont) and as i love wales so much it was the first thing that came into my head:D changed it not long after to astoness as i was born in aston...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi again Lyn
I have also had many name changes over the years,can't say I enjoyed all of them
When I joined Farm St I was in class 3B, teacher Miss Yen. Moved to the annexe next school year in 4A with Mr Davies. Two names I recall from that year are William (Billy)Boyle and Sandra Rose. I had two younger brothers at the school,Kenny and Peter.

NoddKD

nodd if you remember sandra rose we must have been in the same year as sandra followed me to lozells girls school and was in my class...snap about mr davies and do you recall a mrs dugard also at the annexe ..my memory of her was that she always sat on one of the desks eating her lunch and almost staring into space...nice teachers...

nodd if you would like to continue your memories of farm st school could you post them on the farm st school thread please as it will add to the thread...in the meantime i will ask my brother mark if he remembers your brothers as mark is 3 years younger than i am..

lyn

Hi Lyn
Good idea. I'll get over there and have a look.
Thanks. I'll leave you in peace for awhile☺
NoddKD

never a problem with me talking about the old days nodd...if you cant find the farm st thread let me know

lyn

Hi Lyn, I know I said I would leave you in peace however I feel I must make a confession.
I found the Farm St school site and discovered that the conversation we have enjoyed today is almost verbatim of a conversation we had on that site in January of this year!!!
No wonder I can't remember names from 55 years ago,I can't remember what I did at the start of this year.
Still,as you say nice to chat about the fun days.
Going again now.
All the best,hope we speak again.
NoddKD

My mother in a nursing home in Yardley at just short of ninety years old would eat a huge midday meal and pudding then when asked what she'd had would say "They haven't brought my dinner yet."

One day I asked her what her mother's maiden name was, "Taylor." was the immediate answer.

The memory needs a defragmentation programme like the computer.

Eric,

Is it a case of we don't want to remember much about today's rather nasty world? No manners, no honour and more crime than you could throw a stick at. I'm fortunate in that where I live there is almost no crime at all, and children are very respectful of their elders, but I can't get away from reading about what happens in the UK.

Maurice :cool:

Eric,

Is it a case of we don't want to remember much about today's rather nasty world? No manners, no honour and more crime than you could throw a stick at. I'm fortunate in that where I live there is almost no crime at all, and children are very respectful of their elders, but I can't get away from reading about what happens in the UK.

Maurice, you are blessed! Or just darn lucky but that's wonderful...……..

I am indeed, Richard. Greek islands are still mainly rural and very traditional with a strong sense of family. The majority of farming here is of the subsistence variety with long hours worked and family members pitching in. Very little industry simply because the majority of raw materials would have to be brought in by ferry, and probably the majority of finished goods would be bought by people not living on the island, so more ferry costs again. With the exception of a few medical doctors and a few laywers, anyone graduating from a university knows that their only option for finding appropriate work is to move abroard. So life on this, the largest of the Greek islands, is still very traditional, and I think that most people would like to keep it that way. But there are outside interferences such as TV and the internet, and I can see that these may be the source of problems for future generations.

It was actually planned when we moved here with a good prior knowledge of the eastern end of the island before we did so. My late daughter had lived here for several years in the 1990s and her husband remarried a local girl after her death and lives a few miles away. Having worked in the UK for several years, his English is a darned sight better than my Greek will ever be!

Hi again Lyn
I have also had many name changes over the years,can't say I enjoyed all of them
When I joined Farm St I was in class 3B, teacher Miss Yen. Moved to the annexe next school year in 4A with Mr Davies. Two names I recall from that year are William (Billy)Boyle and Sandra Rose. I had two younger brothers at the school,Kenny and Peter.

NoddKD

Hi NoddKD, the name Sandra Rose seems to ring a bell, did she ever attend Harry Lucas in farm street?

Lozellian.

Hi NoddKD, the name Sandra Rose seems to ring a bell, did she ever attend Harry Lucas in farm street?

Lozellian.
Hi Lozellian,
From my previous and current posts with Astoness I believe Sandra went to Lozells Girls School.
Sandra lived at the far side of Burberry St park.(the far side from Farm St that is.)

Lived in Bell Barn Road 1950 with Grand Parents, then moved to our first house just around the corner in Clifton Grove Edgbaston (1953), moved to Lea Village in 1961 and then in 1963 we moved back to Edgbaston and had a upper floor maisonette in Rickman Drive over looking the Park with the Bristol Cinema, The Sun Pub, St Lukes Church and a wooden hut that was the Ford dealership, I remember them promoting the then new Ford Anglia, all this was just across the way. #happydays

Born at Sorrento Maternity Hosp. Moseley 1946.
As a baby Albert Rd, Stechford.
1947 - 1967 William Cook Road Ward End
Coleshill
Aldridge
Coleshill (second time)
Redditch
Kings Norton
Harborne

2003 - to date, Somerset. Phew I think that's it now.

Although Somerset is a beautiful place to live I miss Birmingham (my roots) every day - WHY?

There are a lot of Brummies down here, and I find myself levitating towards the accent.
Born at Sorrento Maternity Hosp. Moseley 1946.
As a baby Albert Rd, Stechford.
1947 - 1967 William Cook Road Ward End
Coleshill
Aldridge
Coleshill (second time)
Redditch
Kings Norton
Harborne

2003 - to date, Somerset. Phew I think that's it now.

Although Somerset is a beautiful place to live I miss Birmingham (my roots) every day - WHY?

There are a lot of Brummies down here, and I find myself levitating towards the accent.
I moved to Somerset from Kings Heath 2005 miss the friendliness and sense of humor us Brummies have

Hi cast alla
Funny you have mentionioned the Sorrento hospital I came down wake green road. Today and I remember it very well and Astbrook road
Many years ago I done a lot of work along that road but getting back to the Sorrento hospital
As I was passing I came to the part where the old hospital used to be its all gone as we all know new houses and flats are there now
But one big house on the pillars of the house on entry it said Sorrento court obvisiosly be the old hospital its named after
And emediatele as I am driving along I said to myself ah yes I will put that on the forum tonight because its been ten years since that was last mentioniond on here
All people have been going on about dudley red and other hospitals but never mention ion the Sorrento hospital so I thought I would also mention it now
And may be some one else as member was born there or have memorises of it I can recall when it closed down and was sold off in time gone bye best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,,,,
I had my son at the Sorrento in 1978,went to open day of special care unit he was in just before it closed ,shame all built on now

Back