• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where did you live

Born 1931, at parents fish & chip shop, 253 Farm st Hockley.
1940, 1 back 25 Burbury st.
1949, Married. 70 Burnham Rd,
1956 bought corner shop.70, Taylor Rd Kings Heath.
1960 moved to Blackpool. Wembley Hotel Promenade.
1982. To present Nessel St Riverside California USA.

I was born and grew up in 4 Foxdale Grove, Lea Village, Birmingham 33. Went to Lea Village Girls School from 1960-1964. Would love to hear from anyone who was around this area at that time.
I am now living in United States of America.

Born Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital 1952, lived in The Broadway, Perry Barr until 1956, moved to Stoneleigh Road (round the corner until 1974, married, lived in Tysoe Road, Kingstanding until 1979, Woodway, Erdington until 1985, Glenfield Close Sutton Coldfield until 1999, left in disgust and moved to the South East, never to return.

Hi, writing from USA. I came from Lea Village - Lea Hall, moved to USA in the 60's. My family is still in England. I am not sure where herrick road is in Saltley but what I do remember is going to the swimming baths in Saltley (when we were little kids).

Hi herrick road is off Wright road alum rock end not wash wood Heath I went to highfield road junior and infants

I married Gloria Knapton who lived at 27 Shirley Road, she had 2 sisters Anita and Janice. We married at St Agnes church in Cotteridge in 1971

I married Gloria Knapton who lived at 27 Shirley Road, she had 2 sisters Anita and Janice. We married at St Agnes church in Cotteridge in 1971

So nice to hear from fellow Brummies. Yes, I remember Alum Rock. I used to take the No. 14 bus (from Lea Village into town near Lewis's store) every single day to go to work at the telephone exchange on Hill Street. Actually, I've done some research recently and the Hill St. telephone exchange was knocked down many, many years ago. I wonder what happened to all my friends that worked there in the mid 60"s. Does anyone out there know any of the Coles family from Lea Village? I would love to hear from you.

Hello Brum Gal

My Sister worked in Telephone house during most of the sixties and married one of the Hill street engineers, Ron Rogers.

Hi Expert Brummie,
Nice to hear from you. I don't remember Ron Rogers, but then again Telephone House was separate from Hill Street. Where are you from? Anywhere near Lea Hall? Would love to hear from anyone who lives/lived anywhere around there. My maiden name is Coles. I'm from a very large family so if anyone knows the Coles, please write.
Thanks and have a nice day!

Hi EB,
I was also in Hill St!! If you see or hear from Ron, could you ask him if he remembers a telephonist named Carole Coles who went to live in America in 1967? I'm really curios because I would love to know someone from the telephone exchange. I was friendly with lots of the other girls but after so many years, you lose contact with each other.
So thank you. I appreciate your message very much,
BG

I was born in Bournville lane on the Corner of Dingle Close in the late 1930s.Went to Bournville village school and then on to Raddlebarn Road boys, finishing up at Bordesley Green Technical School leaving in 1953.
My family had a shop & office furniture buisness in Suffolk Street but, I was an apprentice at the GPO in Fordrough Lane, eventualy moving south to London, Hamshire & now back in Surrey.
Does anybody have any memories of these schools or the GPO factory in Fordrough Lane Bordesley Green or Hurst Street ?

I was born 1950 Milverton Road,Erdington,moved to the corner of South Road and Ilsley Road,Erdington when my mother bought the corner shop.
Then to Waverly Avenue and onto Burntwood.
Settled in NZ now.

Born Staffs moorlands 1942
1949-1961 Marsh Lane Erdington
1961-1967 Washwood Heath
67-68 Kingshurst
68-70 Marlene croft Chelmsley
70-98 Conway road Chelmsley
98 to present Bacons End (part of Chelmsley)

(AMJ my parents moved to Dare Road in 1970 and my first husband lived in Milverton 1950 -1961 his best friend Ted Massey lived in Ilsley he went to Australia.
My best friend Marjorie Vaughan lived at the shoe repair shop in south Road.)

Hi Reynolds, I am a Scots Guardsman (1953/1957) just a little younger that you.
Born Pype Hayes, after 6 months to Brantley Road, Caterham, Pirbright, Caterham, London St James area, Lydd,Kent., Hockley, Perry Barr, Erdington, Sutton Coldfield.
Still a member of SG Association. George

Back