• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where did you live

I was born at the Sorrento hospital, lived in Lea Village, Curzon Street Vauxhall, Ulwine Drive Northfield, Back to Nechells (kellet Road) Galloway Avenue (castle Bromwich)
Fordwater Road (Streetly) now in Four Oaks, Spent a lot of time in Lawrence Street (Gosta Green )
Bishop Ryder School, Bloomsbury Street and Tinkers Farm school. . None of these schools exist now !!! aa ww Where's me roots gone??

Born South Rd Nursing Home Smethwick 1949
110 Hunters Road Handsworth till 1965
Tintern House,Selcroft Ave, Harborne till married 1972
Houghton Rd Perry Barr
Lozells Rd,Lozells
Dora Road Handsworth
The 1983 Perrott St Winson Green (still there)

Born at 40 Scarsdale Road,Great Barr,1947
Emigrated to Melbourne,Australia 1965
Returned 1967 to avoid Vietnam draft
Lived Aldridge Road,Great Barr 1967
Lived Hawthorn Road,Kingstanding 1968
Returned 1968 to Australia.

HI DONBOGEN;
Just read your thread about wher you live ;i was born in the smokey old hole of Aston ; industreal times when you had to walk around with lamps because of the old smells and bellowing smoke from local factory chimmneys in those hay days
but i do not not think it was bad as black pool of today ; as you are aware it was not always like that ;
i come to the norhbreck hotel every year for the linedanceing gold boot awards but i have never ventured to far away
from the town but i have to be honest i woukld not send my worst enemy to black pool and as far as the big dipper and its fair its a complete reck in fact the old town is i know they have spent alot of money on the town over the last few yearsi have been coming thereis a slight improvement ;
but i have been watching late night series of crimes with the plice about blackpool and its sourounding area and the crime and incidents are far worst than brum it takes the biscuits
i also see how the locals cue up at cash points at midnight to get there dole money for drinks and druggs and some get mugged and the police watch the hot spots of these machines known for muggingpeople for thee money this programe is on every wek at night times
and beleive me its put me off ever thinking of moveing to black pool and alot of the hotels should be condemmed we stayed at one or two over years what the brewery payed for us to live in for a week to come and se how the norheren people run there pubs hey are a disgrace
but many years i ever came to blackpool and i was a kid my mother used to praise black pool up to the hilts so may be when you first ent there to live it was very nice place to be but like most of todays cites ad suburbs and the way society as gone its all over the country now so you are not alone
i live in te country side of worcesters and our city of worc is slowly turning the same way if we all look around our areas we all will think the same as you ;
have your self a nice day best wishes ASTONIAN;

Hello Astonian Yes you are so right in what you say about Blackpool i live just down from the Norbreck i have a sea view so it is not to bad i do not ventue into town much yes Aston in the 60s with all its industry and pubs and a match at Villa park on Saturday hard times but the people were lovely and as a kid i was safe i love talking to Brumies on there hols My Regards To You DONBOGEN.

My formative years were spent in Cleeve Road, Yardley Wood but then at the age of seventeen I got the call to serve for god and country. Here they gave me a roof over my head at Cardington- Padgate- Hereford - and then Hillingdon in Middlesex. On demob in 1958 lived in Digbeth then on my marriage moved to Sheepcote Street, Ladywood. Only there for a couple of years and then moved to Olorenshaw Road, Sheldon. Came 1975 came down to the south coast only to return to Brum infrequently.

born 1947 brantley rd witton.
aberdeen street winson green 1950 to 1961
bridge street west hockley 1961 to 1965
hawk street small heath 1965 to 1966 where i married from
icknield street 1966 to 1967
twying rd just off city rd 1967 1968
peel street winson green 1968 to 1970
school close kinghurst 1970 to 1975
chelmlesy wood 1975 to 1979
kingstanding 1979 still here

born in 1953 at my auntys house in twickenham rd kingstanding, [ my aunty still lives there ]
trevor st, nechells,
kingshurst way, kingshurst,
inkerman st, vauxhall
then got married in 1970,
fredrick rd erdington ,
withy grove, kingshurst,
rowden drive, lyndhurst estate,
now slade lane, roughley,

Hi i was born in Langley road Small heath 1944. moved to arthur terrace off arthur road Hay Mills in 1948. lived in Denham Road Acocks Green from 1957 till moving to Hall Green in 1984 moved to Warton a small village in North Warwicks 16 years ago.

Born Sorrento 57
Ashbrook road for 6 months
Millinghton road Castle Bromwich
Plymouth
Erdinghton
Millinghton Road
Ashby de la Zouch
Spain

I was born in Davey Road, moved to Acfold Road. Then to Camplin Crescent. From there had a flat on Friary Road before moving to Tamworth, to High Wycombe to Princes Risborough and now to Wales.

Last edited:
I was born in Davey Road, moved to Acfold Road. Then to Camplin Crescent. From there had a flat on Friary Road before moving to Tamworth, to High Wycombe to Princes Risborough and now to Wales.
I lived in Handsworth Wood - Greenridge Road, and know Acfold Road and Camplin Crescent very well...what years did you live there?

I lived at 941 Stratford Road, Hall Green at the top of the hill from the College Arms, then Mom & Dad took over the Kings Arms pub in Great Barr Street, Small Heath, then ended up at 55 Lulworth Road, Hall Green.

Born and raised in Wilton St Lozells just down the hill from "The Guns". Original houses have since been razed and built over. Also lived for 4 years at Castle Bromwich Hall during my student years at Gosta Green.

Born and raised in Wilton St Lozells just down the hill from "The Guns". Original houses have since been razed and built over. Also lived for 4 years at Castle Bromwich Hall during my student years at Gosta Green. Now living in Dundas Ontario Canada.

Back