• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where and When.

Surely its George VI and Queen Elizabeth isn't it? It looks like it was during the war as I'm sure there is some bomb damage behind them. I suppose it could be Corporation St.

Phil

Surely its George VI and Queen Elizabeth isn't it? It looks like it was during the war as I'm sure there is some bomb damage behind them. I suppose it could be Corporation St.

Phil

Hi Phil,

You could well be right as the photos I am going through at the moment are from around that era.

Regards Peter

Hi Phil,

You could well be right as the photos I am going through at the moment are from around that era.

Regards Peter

Phil,

I Googled Royal visit B’ham 1940 and came up with the following…Diary of a Birmingham Schoolboy

THURSDAY 18th APRIL 1940
Royal Visit
The King and Queen have been to Birmingham today. They came on the train to Small Heath station and visited Daddy’s works to see them making guns for the Army and Browning machine guns for the R.A.F. The King was in an Air Marshal’s uniform. Afterwards they went to the Morris factory at Ward End and to Calthorpe Park to see a mock Air Raid.

https://web.ukonline.co.uk/brian.david.williams/diary/1940.html

Thanks for the link to an interesting insite!

Best wishes Peter

I remember seeing them driving along Rocky Lane, I was with my mother standing on the corner of Cromwell Street, I could have been anything between the ages of 5 and 8, that's about as near as I can tie it down, they were going towards Aston Cross.

I remember them driving up Park Rd.from Aston Cross during the war.I climbed up Ansells high wall,the corner of Park Rd.and Portland St.so as to have a good view.It could be they were going to have a look at Queens Rd.which was flattened by a parachute bomb.

I remember them driving up Park Rd.from Aston Cross during the war.I climbed up Ansells high wall,the corner of Park Rd.and Portland St.so as to have a good view.It could be they were going to have a look at Queens Rd.which was flattened by a parachute bomb.

Hi Ray,

I think you may be bang on here! I was born in a flat above a shop in Park Road Aston in 1947. I am not sure how long my parents had been living there, but this could have been taken from the window!

All the best Peter

PS The tram lines could be a further indication.

Last edited:
Pedrocut,where's your photo.?.The king and queen visited Birmingham 12th.Dec 1940 to see bomb damage,and again 7th.Nov 1945,that must have been the time I saw them,up Park Rd,I remember we walked there from school ( U.T.S.),
also the princesses were with them.

Pedrocut,where's your photo.?.The king and queen visited Birmingham 12th.Dec 1940 to see bomb damage,and again 7th.Nov 1945,that must have been the time I saw them,up Park Rd,I remember we walked there from school ( U.T.S.),
also the princesses were with them.

Ray it is at the top with the first post. You may even be on it!

All the best Peter

Sorry Peter,I have my sensible head on now.I didn't realise this was a personel photo.if this is your parents photo.and given their address,it must have been taken where you say,Park Rd.What's puzzling me now is,I was sure the princesses where with them,perhaps they were in a following car,I'm sure I didn't dream it, because I only ever saw any of them once,and this was that occasion.
Which shop were you born above in Park Rd.?.

Last edited:
Peter,
After further study of your photo,as the arms of the lampost are in line with the tramlines ,it must have been taken on the flat bit of Park Rd.between Clifton Rd and Albert Rd.My perch on that day would put me less than a hundred yards out of shot.

Sorry Peter,I have my sensible head on now.I didn't realise this was a personel photo.if this is your parents photo.and given their address,it must have been taken where you say,Park Rd.What's puzzling me now is,I was sure the princesses where with them,perhaps they were in a following car,I'm sure I didn't dream it, because I only ever saw any of them once,and this was that occasion.
Which shop were you born above in Park Rd.?.

I cannot remember the shop, but somewhere I have the street number, and will try to find it. Perhaps then Kellys might reveal what kind of shop and the position.

All the best Peter

I saw them in 1945 when they came down Newtown Row I was with Mom,my late Sister, Gran & Aunt Mable

View attachment 58472

I think this photo taken by my late uncle must be in the early 60's, but where is it?

There are pictures in the same batch of Brookvale Park, and there may be an island to the right of the picture, but I cannot remember a pleasure boat.

Any ideas, All the best Peter

This one looks to to be at Evesham i sought of recognise the river bank. I could be way out. Dek

This one looks to to be at Evesham i sought of recognise the river bank. I could be way out. Dek

I think you are bang on here Dek. Looking on Google Earth at the loop of the river Avon there is still a double line of trees on the far bank.

Thanks Peter

View attachment 58559

I think that this must again be early 1960's.

I have a feeling where this one is, and if it is where I think then I am sure someone will recognize the place.

However I could be completely wrong!

All the best Peter

Peter,
After further study of your photo,as the arms of the lampost are in line with the tramlines ,it must have been taken on the flat bit of Park Rd.between Clifton Rd and Albert Rd.My perch on that day would put me less than a hundred yards out of shot.

Hi Ray,

As yet I cannot dig out the letter that shows the number in Park Road, but my aunt says the flat was above a furniture shop and near Cifton Road.

Maybe Kellys could show the furniture shop.

All the best Peter

Peter, There was a furniture shop,on Park Rd.near to Clifton Rd.,I used to go there to pay a weekly instalment for something we had on the "knock".(£ down... and a change of address).
The only other shop I remember there,for certain,was the Horsemeat butcher.

View attachment 58559

I think that this must again be early 1960's.

I have a feeling where this one is, and if it is where I think then I am sure someone will recognize the place.

However I could be completely wrong!

All the best Peter

Peter this appears to me to be Ward End Park at the far end it has 3 islands and this is the last one. Many of the parks were constructed of a similar style and difficult to tell one from another.Lovely shot with blossom on the trees it looks so peaceful.Dek

The pictures of the pleasure boat look as if it is powered by a stern paddle wheel, Mississippi style. The name 'Cotton Blossom' was also the name of the similar vessel in the September 1951 Howard Keel / Katheryn Grayson / Ava Gardner film 'Showboat', so I think the view dates to c1951-3.

Peter this appears to me to be Ward End Park at the far end it has 3 islands and this is the last one. Many of the parks were constructed of a similar style and difficult to tell one from another.Lovely shot with blossom on the trees it looks so peaceful.Dek

Thanks Dek,

I thought it may be Cannon Hill Park, but having looked on Google Earth I don't think it is. So now I will try Ward End.

All the Best Peter

i think it was perry barr park along with the other paddle boats
they used to have in the early years
best wishes astonion

Queen Elisabeth,shaking hands with George Jones long service worker at BSA, Armory Rd, Small Heath, during a secret visit with King George Vl circa 1940. Len.

Last edited:
Back