• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

When were the back to back houses in Nechells built?

Frank Parker

https://frankparker.website
Hi.

I used to live in a back to back house in Dollman Street, Nechells in the 60's and 70's. I was wondering when they were built? Can anyone please tell me how old the back to backs was?

Last edited:
I think it depends on which one you lived in. On the 1861 census there are only 22 residents of Dollman St, over 200 in 1871 and nearly 500 in 1881.

There are a few spaces on the 1890 map, most of which have houes on by 1905.

So it looks like the houses were built over a number of years.

There doesn't seem to have been a 136. For some reason the numbers go from 130 (on the corner with Alma St), then there's a gap from the other corner and the next house is 140. That's on both 1950 & 1966 map and it seems to have been like that before then.

Thanks. My memory isn't the best. Sadly I can't ask my Mom and Dad as they are no longer alive. I will ask one of my sisters and get back to you.

There's a William G & Marjorie E at 106. If this is it, then the house (the houses look the same) appears to have been there on the 1890 map.

In that case there is a Frank Parker listed at 135. Which appears to be incorrectly numbered as 139 on the 1950 & 1966 map but these houses also seem to be on the 1890 map

That's him! Thank you very much. I knew I was close with 136! Do you have any photo's please of the maps showing my old house?

There is a photo of Dollman Street on Billy Garraty images website (first picture)

Nechells Dollman St .jpg

And we actually have a thread already entitled 135 Dollman st

There also a couple of photos showing Alma Crescent looking along Dollman st here

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. I already know about the 135 Dollman Street post because I posted it, LOL. :)

Last edited:
Back