• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

When Is A Band Not A Band?

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi All,

I cannot understand the modern practice of calling a group of singers (male or female) a band. We never referred to the Beatles as a band they were a group and a good one at that Who can sing or whistle a tune that a modern group yells out at us?

I think that it is an insult to the great bands such as the Guards Bands, The Salvation Army, Black Dyke Mills Band etc. Why do they mess about with the English language? and who are they anyway? Rant over.

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy,

I asked my grandaughter about her favourite "group", she asked me what a group was!!

rosie.

Words change and adapt their meaning over time as society changes.

For example the word "gay" has a totally different meaning now to what it had 40 or more years ago.

Its what keeps languages alive.

If you try to read an old document from say Shakespeare's time it is almost illegible to our eyes.

Before I became a professional musician, I was taught by some the finest teachers, including those at the Birmingham School of Music. I read percussion music, and had a good technique, so I survived in Trios, Quartets, Quintets, Sextets, Octets, and Bands of all types.

My technique and skill helped me survive in the changing music scene of the 60's: 70's; 80's; 90's; and the world of 'groups'. Some of them had the most silly names, but they paid well. Technique was no so important, and reading music was almost non existent, except for studio work.
Can you imagine The Beatles Quartet, The Who Quartet, The Rolling Stones Quintet. Of course not. The 'group' name changed the music scene, and now even that seems to have disappeared with 'boy/girl bands'. I use the term loosely.

I spent the rest of my working life teaching Guildhall School of Music percussion to hundreds of 'would be group' drummers.
It seems that even the term 'group' is no longer in fashion, having been taken over by 'boy/girl bands (I use the term loosely).

In spite of the changing music scene, there are still some very fine young musicians playing in Trio's; Quartet'; Quintet's; Band's; and even orchestra's.

The ramblings of an 'old time' musician. Eddie

Well what IS the difference between a band and a group, is it the style of music, number of members or what. My favourite group of musicians at the moment is Andre Rieu, is this a band or an orchestra, and once again what is the difference. All very confusing. Eric

Eric, I agree, it can be baffling.

With sections of strings, brass, woodwind, and percussion, I think that Andre Rieu would consider that he conducts an orchestra. I cannot speak for all types of music or musicians. Basically, they themselves often decide their own category. Eddie

Band and group are pretty much interchangeable and always have been. It hasn't really got anything to do with playing music or singing.

wam: I think we are well aware of the dictionary definition of the words band & group. However, this discussion is within the context of music.

Eddie

The problem with using words outside the dictionary definition is that the meaning becomes whatever you want it to be. An orchestra is usually thought of as classical but a lot of the old big jazz bands were called orchestra. There's never a guarantee of quality in a name. The marching band, brass band, or silver band are specific types but there were good, bad and awful in every category. I doubt there's any continuing quality to military bands especially from the years of pressed service. Nowadays, they tend to call them bands if they play instruments and groups if they just sing.
Even classical orchestras aren't necessarily good. For example there's the orchestra that deliberately uses non-musicians https://www.altoriot.com/worlds-worst-orchestra-is-internets-best/ but still sells seats/records

wam: Having lived, professionally, my life, from 1948 until the present, in the music business, having worked with orchestra's, bands, groups, ensemble's, brass bands, you name it, I understand completely the usage of terms used for groups of musicians. They do not have anything to do with dictionary definitions. I am now ending this discussion. Eddie.

Back