• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

When I was 2

K

Kandor

When I was 2, my sister Norma took me to the shop to get some milk or something, I was in one of those big old prams, y'know, the ones modelled on the Panzer Mk4..
From what I gather she met her friend in the shop and promptly forgot all about me as she carried on to school..
I was there for 5 days...
Well, of course I wasn't! 3 is far more reasonable..its just Mom had so much on her mind then that I guess we were just like pets...only missed us if she couldn't get us in for the night..
The story IS true though..Norma did leave me outside a shop and it was only when she was sitting in class did she realise and had to go out of school to get me....swine.

recall

the earliest memory I can recall was while we were evacuated at a place called South Milford in Yorkshire, we were standing on a railway station platform there was a big pram which I was standing by and further down were some cattle making a right racket also lot's of steam from the train engine, in the pram must have been my younger brother David who was born in Milford and I am three years older than my brother Dave so that would have made me just over three years old the year was August 1941 and we were on our way back to Aston this memory is so vivid bearing in mind it was 62 years ago now that's a long time by any ones book

I was certainly older than two but at what age I am uncertain but my elder sister took me to some kiddies party at her works place somewhere towards Ladywood.
At some time during the proceedings I must have become bored and left the place and found myself in a narrow cobbled stones street lit by a solitary gas lamp(it is still so vivid in my mind even now). I did not know where to go and was completely lost - what else could a lad of that age do in such circumstances - I 'blarted and blarted!
I remember my mom and dad finding me, possibly more by luck than judgement, but I was later told that they had arranged to pick me up from the place where the party was being held and had happened upon me.
I also vaguely, as only a brother would, recall the telling off sis' had for neglecting her little bruvver.

Back