• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

Oh,that is wonderful and those bouquets.
I am a great fan of black and white photos they seem to show up the detail so much better than colour.Alberta

If you like looking at old street films here is one from 1933 ... it's speed has been corrected and sound added ... some interesting vehicles and about 1min.33sec into the film a policeman on traffic duty takes something out of his mouth (a ciggy?) throws it on the road and treads on it.
Click 'full screen' button for best view ...

Last edited:
I am guessing London Bridge for the pedestrian traffic. Interesting to see that there were still open top buses in 1933

Four lady teachers at the Blue Coat School Harborne with impressive hats and perhaps they wanted to keep up with the more senior staff in posts# 330, 341, and 343 ....
Bluecoatwomenteachers.jpg
image from the Shoothill collection

I am guessing London Bridge for the pedestrian traffic. Interesting to see that there were still open top buses in 1933
That would soon change with the formation of the LPTB in 1933. As this is outside the scope of the Forum I will not expand the topic.

Men teachers at the Blue Coat School, Harborne. That bloke on the left has turned up without a hat and looks pleased with himself. What about their shoes ... cricket maybe? In these photos, the staff at the school all look a pleasant group but maybe it was a governors and teachers event with all the children at home except one in #330.
Bluecoatmenteacherss.jpg

Men teachers at the Blue Coat School, Harborne. That bloke on the left has turned up without a hat and looks pleased with himself. What about their shoes ... cricket maybe? In these photos, the staff at the school all look a pleasant group but maybe it was a governors and teachers event with all the children at home except one in #330.
View attachment 119680

I am sure that I was told by many teachers to...”get your hands out of your pockets!”

Looks late afternoon in Corporation Street and in those days they would not go there without their hats.
MartineauHats.jpg

Last edited:
And of course, it was essential attire if visiting the main control room at Nechells Power Station in the 1930s. Viv.

View attachment 87015

A very interesting photo.Would you have any more photos of Nechells Power Station,as I'm doing some research into the history of the power station?
As a trainee at Nechells I can remember the A station control room,and how antiquated it looked.
Below is another photo of control room and the cover of a souvenir of another visit to the 'Prince's' station by the I.E.E.,in 1925.

And of course, it was essential attire if visiting the main control room at Nechells Power Station in the 1930s. Viv.

View attachment 87015

Attachments

• NechellsAControlRoom.JPG
    NechellsAControlRoom.JPG
    403.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 29
Note: The film of British Street scenes uploaded May 2013 in post#1 is now owned by a Russian Entertainment company who have blocked it's showing on Youtube in the UK !!
Please note it has recently been unblocked April 2018

Last edited:
I don't know at present Mike, I might try and find out but have looked for it elsewhere and can only find a very low quality version. It is a pity ... I often watched it since 2013 because I liked the music with it.

View attachment 119680

Wonder what Gryff Rhys Jones is doing there? (centre)#398

Yes CINCH he has got that rather hang-dog look hasn't he. I think they call it lagubrious (but I could be wrong especially with the spelling).

Hi Tim. Interesting stuff! Which number Tillingham Street did you live at? I am trying to uncover more information on the Mead/Harward family that lived at number 40 until 1963.

Thanks

Note: The film of British Street scenes uploaded May 2013 in post#1 is now owned by a Russian Entertainment company who have blocked it's showing on Youtube in the UK !!
A different short video owned by the British Film Institute has now been added to the post.
The film now shows for me, so it appears to have been unblocked .... all very strange !

how silly pedro...even to the untrained eye anyone can tell the difference between a flat cap and a hoodie or crash helmet:rolleyes:

A nice collection of hats worn by ladies from New Mills, Congregational Church, High Peak c1910. Was it the diameter of a hat which impressed? Or was it how many flowers could be piled on top?
If you like looking at old photos of England from long ago there is a nicely presented two page collection showing folks and scenes which the ladies in the pic would have known ... See link under pic.
congre.jpg
http://oldnewmills.co.uk/newmills_p2.htm

My dad always wore a "Trilby", right through the 50's, something else about the 50's dress, for men was the "habitual raincoat", nearly everyone wore one. Paul

Back