• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

cheerful lot! :(

I imagine taking photos outside was still not done very often and the ladies did not know how to react and were looking on with slight suspicion!
Most photos would be taken in a studio where people were expected to look serious.

Looking through the BHF old pics, I spotted this family photo posted by Davenport in post#1093 Sutton Park thread.
View attachment 80795 Here is a Day trip to Sutton Park 1907 photo. My grt grandfather is the chap front row holding the foot ball and his wife the large lady on his right hand. Their son is on the top row second left
In those days ladies got out their best hats and of course wore them for a visit to Sutton Park. I have slightly enhanced the original to show the faces.
1907SuttonPark.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it was a particular event they'd been involved in as two of the ladies have flowers. One lady has a bunch or pot of Michemas Daisies (I think) on her lap and the other seems to be holding a pot plant. Maybe it was a fete or fair and the prizes were plants? And is it a new football ? Viv.

I'm wondering if it was a particular event they'd been involved in as two of the ladies have flowers. One lady has a bunch or pot of Michemas Daisies (I think) on her lap and the other seems to be holding a pot plant. Maybe it was a fete or fair and the prizes were plants? And is it a new football ? Viv.
Hi All,,
Surely it is a netball as opposd to a football. I would not have given much chance to those ladies competing in a football match against one of the ladies professional teams playing at present. Not that I think much of them. Nice ladies - Yes - but good footballers No.
Old Boy

I think the lady footballers are damned good at it old boy........................................ and they don't lie down crying like the premier league blokes when they're tackled. ;)

It was Grace Brothers outing, because that is surely the late great Frank Thornton right at the back.
Bob
In those days and up to the late 1940s families from Birmigham could easily travel to Sutton Park for a day trip either by bus or train. Photographers were probably waiting to take group photos such as shown in post#382. When our family went to the park our pics were taken with 'box cameras' resulting in photos we called 'snaps'.

Oh,that is wonderful and those bouquets.
I am a great fan of black and white photos they seem to show up the detail so much better than colour.Alberta

If you like looking at old street films here is one from 1933 ... it's speed has been corrected and sound added ... some interesting vehicles and about 1min.33sec into the film a policeman on traffic duty takes something out of his mouth (a ciggy?) throws it on the road and treads on it.
Click 'full screen' button for best view ...

Last edited:
I am guessing London Bridge for the pedestrian traffic. Interesting to see that there were still open top buses in 1933

Four lady teachers at the Blue Coat School Harborne with impressive hats and perhaps they wanted to keep up with the more senior staff in posts# 330, 341, and 343 ....
Bluecoatwomenteachers.jpg
image from the Shoothill collection

I am guessing London Bridge for the pedestrian traffic. Interesting to see that there were still open top buses in 1933
That would soon change with the formation of the LPTB in 1933. As this is outside the scope of the Forum I will not expand the topic.

Men teachers at the Blue Coat School, Harborne. That bloke on the left has turned up without a hat and looks pleased with himself. What about their shoes ... cricket maybe? In these photos, the staff at the school all look a pleasant group but maybe it was a governors and teachers event with all the children at home except one in #330.
Bluecoatmenteacherss.jpg

Men teachers at the Blue Coat School, Harborne. That bloke on the left has turned up without a hat and looks pleased with himself. What about their shoes ... cricket maybe? In these photos, the staff at the school all look a pleasant group but maybe it was a governors and teachers event with all the children at home except one in #330.
View attachment 119680

I am sure that I was told by many teachers to...”get your hands out of your pockets!”

Looks late afternoon in Corporation Street and in those days they would not go there without their hats.
MartineauHats.jpg

Last edited:
Back