• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

What has happened ? The same group that are in the photo in post#330. They hardly seem to have moved apart from all the men and the boy have taken their hats off! There is more to hat etiquette and rules than we know ... has anyone got any theories ?
NoHatsBlueCoat.jpg
image from the Shoothill collection

Last edited:
I do not remember any of my family wearing hats. I never did I hated them. Photo is my grand father and his brothers and sisters in Smethwick, No ats

Attachments

• Crump family 001.jpg
    Crump family 001.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 24
More hats 'on and offs' in these 3 pics! (ref posts #330 and 341)
The governors of the Blue Coat Schools all with hats except one but he is wearing spats.
HatsOn1.jpg

The same group and now they all have taken their hats off.
HatsOff.jpg

A lady has joined them but she has no hat and all the men have their hats off.
OneLady.jpg
images from the Shoothill collection

Last edited:
A good collection of hats at Villa Park watching a Cup Tie in 1930, but a few blokes in the crowd are starting a new trend of not wearing hats !
VillaPark_Crowd1930.jpg

A good collection of hats at Villa Park watching a Cup Tie in 1930, but a few blokes in the crowd are starting a new trend of not wearing hats !
View attachment 114792
Interesting that the bulk of hats are caps. Doesn't the guy with the long neck, trilby and moustache look like Neville Chamberlain? Go up on the right hand side from the post 344. I don'have a hatch sign and he is quite obvious.

Bob

View attachment 114792

A Villa cup tie in 1930. Could this be the great tie between Villa and Walsall when Walsall were drawn at Home but played the tie at Villa Park?

"On this day in 1930, a crowd of 74,626 – then a record for Villa Park – witnessed a 3-1 victory over neighbours Walsall in the fourth round of the FA Cup. The record figure remained intact until it was exceeded by an attendance of 76,588 for a Cup quarter-final against Derby Count 16 years later.".....below link shows great photo of Villa Park, Aston Parish Church and the Gas Works, from above the Witton End!

https://www.avfc.co.uk/on-this-day/01/25/1930 - 1939/record-crowd-for-walsall-home-game

Last edited:
Hi Old mowhawk
you should have remembered in the old days true gentlemen always remove there hats in the presents of a true lady ,
over the decade gone bye i think i have only wittness about five time
afew surviving true gentlemen left today whom carried it out like opening doors for ladies have gne out the window
but i can tell you i am one of them , i always open the door for a lady
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,,,,

I've been wondering why people stopped wearing hats. Looks like they were still a regular part of dress up to the 1930s and into the 40s. But by the 1950s/60s less people were wearing them.

In the 40s/50s/60s women wore headscarves, probably because they were easier to wear. But can't explain what happened to men going hatless. Was it a result of having to wear a military uniform hat in the forces? Viv.

Hi Old mowhawk
you should have remembered in the old days true gentlemen always remove there hats in the presents of a true lady, over the decade gone bye i think i have only wittness about five time a few surviving true gentlemen left today whom carried it out like opening doors for ladies have gne out the window
but i can tell you i am one of them , i always open the door for a lady
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,,,,
Hi Alan, I'm also a gent like you, still hold doors open for ladies but occasionally get some funny looks from younger ladies.
oldmohawk ...:)

I've been wondering why people stopped wearing hats. Looks like they were still a regular part of dress up to the 1930s and into the 40s. But by the 1950s/60s less people were wearing them.

In the 40s/50s/60s women wore headscarves, probably because they were easier to wear. But can't explain what happened to men going hatless. Was it a result of having to wear a military uniform hat in the forces? Viv.
I'm still wondering about the 'hats on' pic in #330 and the same group 'hats off' pic in #341, even the young lad has taken off his hat. Did someone say to them "now gentlemen, we need a photo with your hats off" ?
Then in #343 the hat situation got curiouser and curiouser !

Viv
While accepting that in cold weather a hat may reduce heat loss, I can see no reason at all for wearing a hat and wonder why on earth people wore them in the first place, rather than why they stopped. The stupid ridiculous ugly concoctions worn at Ascot and similar places by women amplify this view. The same with ties.

Mike your post just brought to mind the song "Easter Parade". Loved that song when I was
little. Must have originally been a 1940s song or thereabouts. My mum used to sing it. There's a word no longer used "bonnet" unless you're a Jane Austen fan. Viv.

Viv, the movie was Easter Parade, starring Judy Garland, Fred Astride, Peter Lawford and Ann Miller.
Great movie.
Cheers Tim

Bonnets are still worn by some ladies.
The older, traditional ladies bonnet of the Salvation Army is still to be seen, often on special church occasions.
Amish women wear them and in quite a few areas of the United States, particularly Pennsylvania and along with their very productive farm lands and horse drawn buggies these ladies can be seen wearing their bonnets. Quaker women had bonnets at one time but I think their custom has died out.
As it will be seen, these observances are associated with a simple, but devout, form of Christian worship.
I guess it is only a matter of time before some whizz kid, ladies fashion guy, comes up with a new style bonnet and it becomes the thing every fashion conscious girl or woman must have. ;)
Another bonnet worn nowadays, but only for ceremonial use, is the Warbonnet. This is the familiar, to all western movie fans, as the feather headgear worn by American native Indian Chiefs and some warriors. There are some variations of appearance but the style most familiarly known here was only worn by Indian tribes of the Great Plains. Other areas of what is now the USA had different customs and headgear.
I am sure other parts of the world have other forms of bonnet (but in modern terminology possibly just called a hat) - memory recalls the men of the Himalayas having something similar.

Lots of hats in this short video of London in 1904 but I'm wondering about that young lady with something in her eye and she was standing in a busy road.
Lady1904.jpg She wears a nice little bonnet ...

Last edited:
Not one person in this view of Snow Hill station is "bah t'at". Never really understood boaters as they were, in my experience of school boaters, very uncomfortable to wear. Maybe if you had one custom made they were pleasant to wear. Viv.

image.jpeg

Lots of hats in this short video of London in 1904 but I'm wondering about that young lady with something in her eye and she was standing in a busy road.

what a smashing piece of old footage phil..we can learn a lot about social history looking at them...

lyn

My father used to have three hats in the thirtys and forty,s
he wore a flat capp and high brimmed hat and a bowler hat when he went to the freemans society the druids
because my mother ,s father got him involved so he had to weat the bowler hat and he had a broad purple band
with some kind of silver wear which was in the shape of a perimid with some wording around it engraved
but yes he wore 3 indivisual hats ,is brother joe , used to be a hat maker at some company but i never
learnt where it was
best wishes Astonian,,, Alan,,,

Back