• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

I get the same message " This video is not encoded for your device" I thought i had a full pack of codecs. k-lite codec pack full 1120. Pity the message doesn`t say which codec i need?,

oldMohawk, I tried r/click on the image to see what info i could find & i got a "This website is dangerous" contact symantec for more info. I don`t know what`s going on but i shall persue it no further. Smudger.

I have seen this film before. Was it posted on another thread? I had no difficulty viewing it. My browser is Firefox having had problems with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome in the past. I know Nottingham only as it is at present although I do remember going there in the 1950s when there were still trolley buses running in the streets. I plan to go to Nottingham to ride on the new tram routes probably in a couple of months time when the clocks have gone forward.

In the days after war broke out (ww2) they imposed a blackout and switched all the street lamps off. This meant folks had problems seeing where they were going so white stripes were painted on the kerbs, they can be seen in many old street pics from those times. The painters in this pic are of course wearing their hats ... three different types ...

Painting Kerbs ww2.jpg

Last edited:
These Victorian ladies wore stylish hats and clothes when they shopped for their flowers in the old Bull Ring. The Market Hall in the background. (restored post)
BullRingHats.jpg

It's the 1920s and they sit on the Chamberlain Fountain. Two of them have complete foxes draped over their shoulders !
1920sFountain1.JPG

Last edited:
My aunt had a stole like that. It made a wonderful soft collar for my anorak when I rode a scooter (minus the head and limbs)

My Mom had a fox fur, it had a metal clip built into the lower jaw so that it would hold onto the tail as it was slung round the neck.
My elder sister used to chase me round the house with it when I was young, I think I thought it had come to life and could really bite me. Happy Days!!
Cheers to all Tim

My Mother had a fox fur with only one head and the clip to secure the tail. When I was growing up they seemed to be everywhere especially in church on Sundays when the women dressed up and wore their best clothes. I would often sit behind a lady who had one of these and it had at least two heads. Quite bizarre in a young child's mind.

I have one which was my Nan's, it has a silky ruched backing and a clip for the tail but it has "legs" too! (I wore it in the 1960's with a maxi-coat). She always wore a hat usually with wax cherries or small felt decoration on, and a hairnet with beads woven in for when she took it off.
rosie.

Not sure if this stlole/collar had a head and legs, but looks cosy. It's of my grandma in 1929. Surprised she's not wearing a hat. But maybe she didn't want to spoil her lovely Marcel waves. Think that's a real issue for women today re hat wearing, no-one wants to risk 'flat hair'. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
On Waverley Bridge in Edinburgh c1900, Mitford Church Choir from Northumbria had booked an outing by carriage but first they had to get aboard it not easy for ladies in long dresses. It looks quite a climb and I can't see a ladder. One lady not yet on board seems amused probably thinking about her turn to start climbing, and the man on the left looks a bit doubtful.
20160529_060729000_iOS.jpg

Gee you would have to be pretty fit to get there without a ladder!
Love the horses feet under the wagon, they must be used to waiting while all this went on.

Gee you would have to be pretty fit to get there without a ladder!
Love the horses feet under the wagon, they must be used to waiting while all this went on.
And after a sight seeing tour of Edinburgh they would have to climb down off it .... I bet they talked about that trip when they got back to Mitford.

I notice the outer seats seem to overhang the sides, so did the ones sitting on the side let their legs dangle ? I've tried to find a photo of an empty carriage but still looking.

All looks very top heavy to me! Imagine going round corners on it. Bet some on the top deck enjoyed the thrill of it all. Viv.

looks like a military fitness test, boarding and decamping, but I am sure they must have had a ladder of sorts for the ladies, what with stays and all. I like the lively lad getting in to the rumbble seat at the rear. Paul

I notice on the back of the vehicle it says "to carry 29" . Looking at the crowd I'd say there's more than 29 - maybe sone are there to wave off the travellers. Or maybe they were prepared to risk it. Viv.

looks like a military fitness test, boarding and decamping, but I am sure they must have had a ladder of sorts for the ladies, what with stays and all. I like the lively lad getting in to the rumbble seat at the rear. Paul
Hi Paul, being a church choir they look to me as if they are enjoying their day out away from the watchful eyes of the church elders. In those days they weren't so 'straight-laced' as we like to think they were, and the old trams and horse buses had high steps and steep stairs so they would have been used to some climbing.
Phil

Back