• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

Hi Paul - Yes I often look at the old pics and films wondering about the people in them. Ten years after the date of the film they would be reading about the Titanic disaster and as you say later living through WW1. In the year of the film, Britain started celebrating 'Empire Day' each year on the 24th May.
Phil

yes Phil, do you remember "Oak Leaf" day,?, Trafalgar Day, along with Empire Day, and various others all lost in this modern world, along with most of our cultural history I am sorry to say. Maybe someone could start a thread just on this subject, I don't know how. Regards Paul

Hi Paul - Yes I remember 'Oak Leaf Day' , 'Trafalgar Day' , and 'Empire Day'.

Last edited:
I understand Phil, some subjects are very un PC these days, but I was brought up to say what you mean, and sadly have fallen foul many times, from the PC Brigade. Paul

Whenever hats were worn by men, they always took them off when entering a room and would never dream of sitting at a meal table with them on. When I look around today and on TV programmes, unfortunately, those days of chivalry have sadly gone.

Hi carolina
Just ben reading the forum threads about men wearing hats yes it was fashion in thos days my uncle joe ,my fathers brother
Used to be a hat maker some where in brum all those years ago when he was younger man;
I never found out where about thou where it was and my old man and grand father and his brothers all wore hats
I Was told there names of there hats by an older member of there family my mothers cousin raymond
he said uncle george was the team leader ,because he always bought the expensive hats and the other brothers could not afford to match up to
and like his cars he bought tops of top of ranges in them periods they only bough second to best cars to match up to him
and my old man got elected into there secret club and he had to buy a bowler hat along with his other typpe of hat he used to go to work
with as apparently this society they had to wear bowler hats when he was at work we use to mess with it and half wreck it when we was todlers the old lady used to shout at us to leave it alone ;; best wishes Alan; ASTONIAN;;

They had got off a horse bus on what looks like a windy day near Station Street. I like that lady on the left, with a concerned look on her face as she holds on to her hat with her cape blowing in the wind. Some of the men also hold on to their hats on the exposed top decks. Perhaps the bus would stop if your hat blew off during the ride ... but they would have known how to manage wearing hats in those days.
StationSt.jpg

Last edited:
The word got around that something had happened near Great Charles Street, so they grabbed their hats and coats and came to look.
Gt Charles St.jpg

Last edited:
Phil,

I'm sure you're not going to leave it at that! What's the story behind this pic then?

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

I think it was a canal bank bursting in 1906 near Great Charles Street. The barge in the photo appears to be grounded.

Phil

My dad always told me his grandmother wore a man's flat cap and smoked a pipe, I always thought she must have been a bit eccentric, but in Saturday's Birmingham Mail, Carl Chinn published a photo of the opening of a welfare centre in Digbeth in I think 1905, and quite a lot of the women were wearing flat caps, so it must have been quite common and Rosehannah wasn't the eccentric I thought she was.

Everyone wearing a hat in this 8 minute film (no sound) of a tram ride in Nottingham c1902 during a busy day in town. An interesting collection of horse drawn carts sometimes overtaking the rather slow electric trams, even little kids could run faster. The chap wearing a 'boater' on the tram in front at the start certainly likes doffing his hat ... and a good job the traffic was slower with people taking chances crossing the roads and bike riding over the tramlines ... young girls teasing each other on the pavement ... it's all there ... and no early cars in town that day !
I noticed some flags and a banner saying 'Long Live The King' and presumably this was because on 24 June 1902, and two days before his coronation, King Edward VII (aka ‘Bertie) was diagnosed with appendicitis and underwent an emergency operation.

Last edited:
Everyone wearing a hat in this 8 minute BFI film (no sound) of a tram ride in Nottingham c1902 during a busy day in town. An interesting collection of horse drawn carts sometimes overtaking the rather slow electric trams, even little kids could run faster. The chap wearing a 'boater' on the tram in front at the start certainly likes doffing his hat ... and a good job the traffic was slower with people taking chances crossing the roads and bike riding over the tramlines ... young girls teasing each other on the pavement ... it's all there ... and no early cars in town that day !
I noticed some flags and a banner saying 'Long Live The King' and presumably this was because On 24 June 1902, and two days before his coronation, King Edward VII (aka ‘Bertie) was diagnosed with appendicitis and underwent an emergency operation.
Restored Jan 2016 post...

oldmohawk. i clicked on the link via the email from bhf & the page was blocked as dangerous. ?

Hi Smudger - the link is to the British Film Institute. I never click on links in emails, try clicking on the pic in my post.

Hi Smudger - the link is to the British Film Institute. I never click on links in emails, try clicking on the pic in my post.

oldMohawk, I`m not having much luck!! "This video isn`t encoded for your device" Guess i must be missing a codec?

Hi Smudger - maybe your laptop is short of a codec or two ...
friendly_wink.png

Have a look in the forum thread here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/tangye-brothers-engineers.44852/#post-543289
I know forum members have seen the film there of Tangye Brothers Engineers
oldmohawk

Last edited:
I get the same message " This video is not encoded for your device" I thought i had a full pack of codecs. k-lite codec pack full 1120. Pity the message doesn`t say which codec i need?,
I would have thought the k-lite pack would have every codec needed. Perhaps it is some security setting in your device blocking it. I just played it in my iPhone without any problems. You have to accept their cookies and sometimes they try to get you to sign up for their 'player' but you just have to hit the 'ask me later button'. I know that they say the videos cannot be seen outside the UK.

Back