• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

Hi devonjim - it does look very similar but he has improved it with a stylish dent in the top...
friendly_wink.png

Enjoying a Victorian bank holiday, a group of people gather near a barrel organ player while a donkey feeds from its nose bag. Someone not wearing a hat has spotted the slightly hidden camera. I wonder what the lady on the right was thinking as the camera clicked ?
Img_0604.jpg

Last edited:
In these modern times. the donkeys, or horses, entertaining the tourists, in Great Yarmouth, have the bag at the other end!

Eddie

#203, Just like 3D Oldmohawk, you feel as if you could lie in the long grass by the lad, those old type-plate photos where brilliant for bringing the photo alive. My Nan told me of her memories as a girl, of the Hurley Gerdy men, and there animals, usually a monkey.Paul

Yes Paul - I find myself looking at the people in old photos as much as looking at the buildings etc.
Some information about the photos and the camera below .....

The pictures were taken by Paul Martin (1864-1944), a wood engraver by trade but with a keen interest in photography.
Around 1890 it became possible to combine fast-dry plate negatives with a fairly small camera — the Fallowfield Facile camera was an example. Martin used a Facile, which could be disguised as a parcel or carried in a leather box. It did not have to be opened between exposures to change plates, which enabled Martin to take candid shots of people at work and play.

He obviously took care taking his photos because of probably high cost of the negative plates etc, whereas today with our digital cameras we take loads of pics and simply erase the ones we don't like ....
smile-new.png

They all have hats as was the custom in those days but one not wearing his. I suppose men in top hats riding in a carriage don't carry small change ... :)
hatspic.jpg

Last edited:
The photo is very clear considering both the carriage and the man are moving! (I think!)
rosie.

Hi Rosie - I think the man is moving because his feet are not touching the ground. That looks like King George V in the middle.
oldmohawk

Hi All.

Richie suggests it is Edward V11 and Mohawk thinks it is George V. I consider that it is neither. Would the Monarch likely to be riding in an open carriage with a beggar running alongside holding out his cap for a handout? It could easily have been an assassin carryig a revolver. I think it is three members of the gentry ignoring a poor chap who was probably starving. In any case it is a very good picture.

Old Boy

If it is a hat she has on her head what style is it? The pic is said to be the inside of a miner's house on Tyneside in 1936. Certainly some well polished brasswork in that house ....:)
pothat.jpg

Last edited:
Just like my nans , she of course is wearing a head scarf, as they all did when working, later in the 50's they wore them with a pointed end at the back tied under their chin. Paul

Hi All.

Richie suggests it is Edward V11 and Mohawk thinks it is George V. I consider that it is neither. Would the Monarch likely to be riding in an open carriage with a beggar running alongside holding out his cap for a handout? It could easily have been an assassin carryig a revolver. I think it is three members of the gentry ignoring a poor chap who was probably starving. In any case it is a very good picture.

Old Boy

Mohawk wins it. George V it is. Getty has the photo filed under 'George V-Epsom Derby-1920'
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...arriage-at-the-epsom-derby-news-photo/2635543

It is definitely George V, sitting next to his son, Edward, Prince of Wales (trying to avoid looking at the beggar). later, of course, Edward VIII, abdicated.

Just thinking about it, there are not many of us left who have lived under FOUR Monarchs. Next year Elizabeth II becomes, not just the oldest Monarch, but also the longest reigning. Eddie

It is George V, at the Epsom Derby in 1920. He's with his son, Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (the one closest to the beggar).

Everyone wearing hats in this BFI free film of a trip on the St Elvies steamer from Liverpool to North Wales in 1902. In the film at 3min 30secs some chaps are sitting on the handrail with their backs to the sea as the boat sails full steam ahead.
In the fashion of those times much hat and hankerchief waving from passing crowded steamers ... looks to have been a good day out all those years ago.

Last edited:
What a fantastic piece of film "Oldmohawk", such detail and very entertaining, hard to believe most of those young men may have perished in WW1, and my Father, (1915), and Mother (1919), weren't even born.Paul

Back