• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

When did we all have fitted carpets.?

We had some of those "readicut" rugs. You bought a kit which came with all the wool strips and a sort of canvas base marked in the pattern of your choice.
I remember the one in front of the coal fire had a burn mark where an ember fell on it before being removed by Dad who then stamped on the rug.

We had some of those "readicut" rugs. You bought a kit which came with all the wool strips and a sort of canvas base marked in the pattern of your choice.
I remember the one in front of the coal fire had a burn mark where an ember fell on it before being removed by Dad who then stamped on the rug.
There were often problems with gaps in the floorboards which my Dad would pack with newspapers to stop the cold air blowing through. Likewise the gaps between the skirting board and the floor.

We have wooden laminate floors which were installed about 15 years ago. The fitted carpets are now laid in the garage, keeping the Bentley warm.

When we bought the house in 1974 it had the normal Wimpey’s plastic tiled floors, and we started married life with a square of carpet and a second hand push lawn mower both bought from a lady who was selling up to move into a smaller house.

Last edited:
When we moved in I found one of those push mowers lost in the long grass, used it for all of the nine years we were there...............after a fair bit of oiling. ;)

Eric,

’ow’s yer back?

We have fitted carpet upstairs, probably have had that since the 1980s at least, and when my folks moved, in about 1970, the new house was carpeted fully. I must say that I do prefer the laminated wood flooring to a fitted carpet in the living/dining room. Two of my aunts had fitted carpets laid over oak parquet floors in the late 60s, sacrilegious in my opinion, but still. I also recall a Minton tiled floor down the entrance hall of my gran’s Victorian terraced house in Smethwick. No fitted carpets there!

Last edited:
We have wooden laminate floors which were installed about 15 years ago. The fitted carpets are now laid in the garage, keeping the Bentley warm.

When we bought the house in 1974 it had the normal Wimpey’s plastic tiled floors, and we started married life with a square of carpet and a second hand push lawn mower both bought from a lady who was selling up to move into a smaller house.
......and you finished with the shortest shag pile in the road

Bob

I remember at around 16-17 and been working for a couple of years I bought my mom her first fitted carpet (1972)
When I say 'fitted' I mean I bought a thin foambacked remnant that was big enough to fit the living room and fitted it myself using a combination of a bread knife and a pair of scissors, she was well chuffed.

Lino adorned the other rooms of the house. If you looked under the freestanding stove in the kitchen you would notice the lino missing in big chunks. My brother and sisters used to tear pieces off to stick in our shoes /pumps when they were holed!

i remember mom buying a carpet off some blokes who come around on a sunday. saying it was left overs from a job,
when dad come home and unrolled it it was thread bare in the middle. what a shock. poor mom

I can remember my parents getting fitted carpet sometime in the 1960s. Before that we had 'lino' or a carpet square placed over stained floorboards.

Our first fitted carpet, instead of inheriting someone else’s choice, was when I had a welcoming sweetener to change jobs. That meant a big move, and we had our choice fitted throughout the bungalow by a professional company. I think that was a big tick on Julie’s wish list. That was 1983. All I did was sign the bill.
Nowadays it is mostly tiles, with laminate in the bedroom, and a few rugs.
Andrew.g

We had carpets fitted into a parquet surround for as long back as I remember. When the house was built in the 1930s the parquet trim was probably originally meant for you to drop a piece of Lino in to. In time the parquet was removed (shame) and ‘wall-to-wall’ carpet was fitted. We were fortunate enough to never have problems affording carpet as my mums brothers worked in the industry in Yorkshire. They’d throw a piece on a one if the mills delivery vans for us if it was coming Brum way ! Viv.

EB56124E-ED01-4645-9E9C-07C42023FCB0.jpeg

Back