• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wheelers Lane Junior School

RobertS

master brummie
I'm looking for the names of teachers at Wheelers Lane Junior School (and the Annexe) 1956 to 1961 ish

Anyone know?

thanks

Hi
We lived in Bagnell Rd 3 houses from the school entrance and my mum taught at Wheelers Lane for a tme.
My sister and I were also pupils, but after the years you are interested in.

Do any of these names ring a bell as teachers whilst you were there?

Mr Flavell -headmaster and a friend of my grandfather!
Miss Griffiths
Mrs Ashton
Mrs Taylor & Mrs Gent at the annex (did you do the dinner time walk to the main school for lunch?)

Mrs Matthews and Miss Eden in the infants.

I will ask my mum (84 and still going strong) who else she worked with that might have been there in late 50s.

Regards Linett

Thanks Linett

Flavell, Griffiths,Taylor & Gent all ring bells, I remember (Mr Flavel) and a possible Miss Bunch.

Any information greatly appreciated. I'm also looking for photo's to put names to faces.

I did the walk from the annexe but kept going (to Addison Road)and went home for lunch.

Look forward to what your Mom has to say

Regards

Hi again!
Just remembered a few more names...... Mr White ...very strict, sports coat and grey flannels and shoes that clicked as he walked.... he was an annex teacher I think.
Mrs Fletcher
Mrs Studdard
Miss Bunch ...had dark curly hairand short skirts
Miss/Mrs Cohen .... had 2 hooded rats in the classroom called Albert and Victoria. They chewed through the end of her cane which flew off when she whacked some poor devil and we all roared with laughter.
Mr Hull -Head after Mr Flavell
Miss Dale- Head of the infants for years and years.

I do have some photos somewhere ...I was born 1953 so guess they will be between 1958 - 64. I'll see what I can find.
Regards Linett

Thanks linnett

information very useful. Attached are the only class photo's I have. One of my class at the Annexe and one at the main school in the final year (and the reverse of this with classmates signing. I didn't sign as it was my photo!

I'm 5th from the left on the back row on the final year photo, but have rather less hair now. Can you put a name to the teachers?

regards

I went to Wheelers Lane senior school in the early 1950s, the headmaster was Mr. North, and trhee teachers names I remember were a Mr. Mason, a Mr. Edgeworth and and Mr. Gulcher.

Oh dear Robert sorry can't help with names of the teachers in your photos. However I think I spot a pupil I recognise....Front right corner seated on the mat ...Derek Farr?? I can't see his name on the back but guess not everyone signed it. Maybe Im not right
We lived next door to the Farrs.

Ive found these photos so far
1959 Mrs Studdard's class and 1960 Mrs Matthews
I dont have a scanner so dont know how to load the pics into this posting from my computer dooohhhhhh!! what does insert the URL of the image mean??
linett

Hello Linnet

Thanks for the additional information

Ive pencilled in Derek Farr although I had him down as Tony Preece who lived at Alcester Road end of Mossfield Road on the left. Slowly building up a picture of who was where when.

I am not in touch with any of the classmates but will try sending the photo out to any of the names that are on Friends United and post results of general interest on the Forum.

Sent a private message about posting photos

Thanks again

Brilliant Robert ...thanks a lot and I hope they will be of interest to someone somewhere!
Linett

J S Flavell was almost certainly the original headmaster when the school opened in January 1939; he was still there in the early 1950s. His son, Peter Flavell, was a pupil at the school in the mid 1940s. Other teachers in the 1940s were Miss Moyle (who left to become head of another Birmingham Junior School), Mrs Hart, Mrs ("Ma") Andrews, Miss Wooldridge ("Woollybags") and Miss Saunders.

Hi Linett.
You must have known the Meers they lived at 29 bagnell Rd Brenda, Julie & Carol
Pete

Pete - Linnet last visited the site in December 2008 so may not be back for a while.

Well here I am again after a long time!
Yes I do remember the Meers they lived next door to us Brenda the eldest Judith not Julie (think their mum was Julie) and Carol the youngest. My parents lived in Bagnell Road from 1953 until 2002. They are both still alive and live in Wales I do I.

I went to Wheelers Lane senior school in the early 1950s, the headmaster was Mr. North, and trhee teachers names I remember were a Mr. Mason, a Mr. Edgeworth and and Mr. Gulcher.

I was at Wheelers Lane Seniors about the same time, (left 1955).
Gulcher I remember, I think he was a German Jew, sadly we gave him a hard time. Mr North, yes, "Pocket" Flavell was our teacher in the third year. Science teacher was a Welsh bloke, whose name eludes me for the moment.
Keeping with the original thread, I knew a girl called Jean Cresswell who went to juniors, she lived in Albert Road.
I'm sure other names will surface in due course, (my brain hurts !).

This is the background to Wheelers Lane Schools. The photo below is of bomb damage at the rear of the school. This must have happened shortly after it opened.

WHEELERS LANE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, King's Heath.(27) Wheelers Lane Council Sch. opened 1939 by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 1,128 Senior boys, Junior mixed, Infants. King's Heath Council Sch. closed on its opening. Senior boys dept. became separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.).(21) Accom. 1961: 18 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)

WHEELERS LANE BOYS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, King's Heath.(27) Became a separate sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.). Accom. provided for 90 in King's Heath Baptist Church 1950.(21) N.o.b. 1961: 461. (27)

Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 39
According to the Kings Heath Local History Society extract below, Kings Heath was bombed between August 1940 and and April 1941. Viv

"In March 1939 King's Heath school closed and the staff and pupils transferred to new premises in Wheelers Lane. The old building was used during the war by Masons the grocers as a storage depot. King's Heath was bombed between August 1940 and April 1941 and over a hundred civilians were killed. The railway station was closed in 1942 and the site sold for retail. In 1945 Masons moved out of the school building but it became necessary to reopen it as a school and it was not finally closed until 1982 when a new building was opened on Valentine Road. The old school building was demolished and shops built on the site".

Photo's from Linnett

Mrs Matthewe's class of 1960 and
Mrs Studdard's class of 1959
I was a student at Wheelers Lane Infant/Junior School until I left to start at Moseley Rd Art School in 1966. I have a Wheelers Lane class photograph with, I think, Mrs Matthews, but am not absolutely sure it is her or the date of the photograph. It sounds as if you may well be able to confirm details for me...

Paul Bartlett

Wheelers Lane infants and juniors 1950-1957. Headmaster Mr Flavell, Miss Eden, Mrs Beacham, Mr Haynes (cricket), Mr Gent (football), Miss Alcock in final year (always seemed to wear red). Also Mr Williams, Miss Bunch, Mrs Baldwin and Miss Baseley (daughter of Godfrey — the Archers)

Last edited:
Hi All, I attended Wheelers Lane Infants School and have an end of year report dated July 1956 signed by Headteacher H. Dale (this would have been Miss Dale). I do remember also Miss Griffiths and have a school class photo which I am sure the teacher in it is Miss Griffiths. I then moved to Wheelers Lane Junior School and from there it Brandwood Secondary School

I was a student at Wheelers Lane Infant/Junior School until I left to start at Moseley Rd Art School in 1966. I have a Wheelers Lane class photograph with, I think, Mrs Matthews, but am not absolutely sure it is her or the date of the photograph. It sounds as if you may well be able to confirm details for me...

Paul Bartlett
Hi Paul.. I remember you.
I am sure we were in the same class at Wheelers Lane Juniors.

Ian Brennan

I went to wheelers in the late 70;s to mid 80's. Mr Topley was my headmaster. I was taught by Mrs Jones in the Annexe and then Mr Cross, Mrs Saunders and Mrs Topley. I remember my school days with fondness. I too lived down Mossfield rd.

Back