• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheelers Lane Boys School

Thanks John. Now I have recently been posting photos the old way with no problems so it is going to be difficult to pin down.

Not had this happen Baz so don't know the answer to be honest. I will raise it and see if anyone else has had the problem at all. I do recall when I first joined I was not used to the way my typing would disappear of I moved off the page to check something then came back. Not suggesting that is why it has happened to you. The only thing I can suggest, until we can get it looked at, is to type the post in a word processor then cut and paste it in. Not as simple but the only thought I can come up with just now.

Bernie

Thanks Bernie.
No expert me but I suspect, because my laborious typing means I take a long time to post something, the computer thinks it's inactivity.
Even so if I'm allready logged in, why am I told to log in ? (stupid machines !).

Baz this may help - In the Profile there is the option to stay logged on always or to stay logged on for a period of time (say 10 minutes). This may be the cause if it is a long post being typed out.

There is an auto save on posts. Look for the yellow auto save flag appearing every so often in the bottom right hand side of the Reply box and Quick Reply box, when writing a reply.
After logging back in and returning to the original post if you click on restore auto save (appears below reply box) that will reinstate the post in the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that.
I'll get on it as soon as I can.
If I can't sort it I'll I'll just have to "minimize", (as they used to say on army radio nets !).

There a few photos in Barrie Genes book From Kings Heath to the Country related to the school, W H Smiths in Kings Heath have the books I believe, there are 2 copies.

By rights, as a progression from Highters Heath Juniors, I should've gone to Yardley Wood, most of my mates did. I daresay my parents had some say in the matter.
Yardley Wood was supposed to be rougher than Wheelers Lane, all those Warstock types used to go there!
Where did you live then Baz?, I lived in Highters Road till I was 15, in 1952, then we moved to Highters Heath lane opposite Gorleston Road.

Sladepool Farm Rd, Highters Heath Rd end.
Were you in that first group of houses, that lay back, opposite Gorleston ?
It looks like you're four years older than me, I wonder if there were people we both knew back then ?

Yes we lived in the first group of houses as you say, other names in that group were Waltons, Barlows, Spence and Tylers.

Yes we lived in the first group of houses as you say, other names in that group were Waltons, Barlows, Spence and Tylers.

I was hoping the name Tyler would come up ! I knocked around with a kid called Tyler from that group of houses but his first name eludes me, (Mickey maybe ?).

There were quite a few prefabs in the area in those days, I recall.

Hi. Baz. There wasnt a Mickey Tyler, I am still in touch with Richard Tyler though, another name was Haylor in that group of houses and Ken would be about your age and went to Wheelers Lane school as well.

When I was at Wheelers lane, at the other end of Kings Heath was Queensbridge school.
We allways felt that they were posher than us. It was a bit like that Ronnie Barker sketch, we were in the middle, looking up at Queensbridge and looking down at Yardley Wood.
I don't remember a Billesley school at all.

i remember flavell and ( nobby) hall. mid 60s. flavell was my form and music teacher, and nobby was my history teacher. i live in scotland now so i have not seen the new school.

Mr Flavell was our teacher in the 3rd year, (this was in the mid-50s). We called him "Pocket". Like all our teachers, Mr Flavell had a cane which we called "The Cosh", it was shorter than most and heavily bound with insulation tape. Cut a long story short I was close to the bottom of the class when I started the 3rd year and I was caned to third in the class by the time we were due to move up to the 4th year.

I taught English at George Dixon School 1977 - 1980 and Wheeler's Lane 1980 - 82. Pretty tough assignments but I was younger then and had more resources! I taught English and - one afternoon a week - games. At Wheeler's Lane I well recall many members of staff: Mr Rough, Mrs Parker, Mrs Selwood, Mr Roberts, Mr Wilson etc etc. There were quite a few romances amongst the staff, which is what I remember best.

Hello all

I wonder if anyone can help…

I’m the Librarian at Wheelers Lane Technology College (formerly WL Boys School [secondary]) and I’ve been charged with sourcing material for an upcoming project we’re running shortly with some of our students about the history of the school.

Has anybody any relevant information/memories/photographs that would be of interest?

Thanks in advance.

Barry
Hi Barry.
I've just joined this site but wondered if there was anyway of seeing the information you gathered relating to the school in the 50s. I'd be very interested as my father attended during that time

Back