• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What / Where (group picture)

G

garethnash

A picture of my gt grndparents but I have no idea where or what the picture was taken for. Any ideas?
0039.JPG

I'm really intrigued by your picture garethnash....Which ones are your g/grandparents - and do you know any of the others? Hope someone can help you.

Florence :)

Thre's one face in there that stands out for me as a celebrity, a film star maybe, the lady towards the back left and to the right of the babe in arms. E.

In this small snapshot of the larger picture:

My gt grandmother is far left.
My gt grandfather is far right.

a1.jpg

I know this sound odd but I am certain I have seen this picture before.

There are a couple who look like my mother's late sister and her husband. umm do you have any names.....

Sue

No names sorry. There is nothing on the back as I recall but will double check this next time I have the photographs out.

it may be a wedding photo?..I have cropped it a little with the group in the middle as here but I was intrigued by the box at the top right hand corner and have rotated that... it has some numbers on :)not that it is of any real relevance ?:)and the lady with a baby at the back looks ( a bit like the forces sweetheart) Vera lynn:)

Last edited:
Right, I am going to post under this thread, as it has the right heading...
This photo is from 1960's - I am assuming it is Brum as it is of me, with a schoolfriend and mom and brother!! She has no idea where it was taken , neither does my brother!the elephant!.jpeg

and this is the 2nd one..printed from the negative the wrong way round so the words in the background don't help- but am assuming it is Brum, my father in 1953ish

Attachments

• Tommy.jpg
    Tommy.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 18
Probably the letter “..ANN..” (?) on the building behind the spotty elephant. And “RES” or “RESS” on the elephant itself. Don’t know whether that helps us further !

First thoughts: was it taken outside a Toy Fair/Exhibition ? And possibly taken Autumn/early winter looking at the shrub behind the elephant. Viv.

Last edited:
and this is the 2nd one..printed from the negative the wrong way round so the words in the background don't help- but am assuming it is Brum, my father in 1953ish
I was just about to show the same shop but Jonab beat me to it ...:)
There was a Stones Radio above the Bull Ring as seen in this 1957 photo. I'm old enough to remember their shops. The soldier in the pic is standing close to a brick wall with the shop in the background but it does not appear to be the shop in the 1957 pic. I'm trying to remember where their other shops were ... they had the same frontage designs.
StonesRadio.jpg

Re the elephant photo. Is the elephant one of the Misfit toys from Rudolf the Red nosed reindeer film (1964) ? So is the photo taken outside a cinema or studio ?

A guess, but could it be the Delicia cinema/BBC Studio on Gosta Green ?

Viv

37F28D1E-E270-4622-B677-0E15BD68C35D.jpeg

Last edited:
a shop in covenry J & M Stone, a radio retailer from the 50' 60's. They are reported to have merged with Civic and had over 100 stores
1667741805564.png

I've had another look at the 'soldier' and initially could not see a bay window ... but putting my specs on I can see it now and it is the shop. The soldier was standing across the road by a demolished wall.

Vivien! You must be right about the elephant - my father died in 1965, so it could all fit it... except for the area.
I don' ever remember going to Gosta Green - we lived in Quinton and my friend in Harborne - add in the ANN behind the elephant... would there have been anything on at the Botannical Gardens??

I'm tending to go for Mohawks "Bullring" photo - I don' remember any of that area before it was pulled down for the modern day Bull ring - But I do know that my gran's house (where my parents lived on arrival from Germany was at the bottom of the Coventry road (as in Brum City football ground?) does that help??

I think the wall the soldier was standing by might possibly be somewhere in these pics by the bomb damage area across the road from Stones Radio. It was cleaned up somewhat after the war.
4 City Bull Ring after bombing.jpg
10_04_40BR.jpg

Whilst the ".. ANN" can readily be interpreted as a portion of a local sign/post directing toward the Botanical Gardens (my most favouite place to be taken as a young child, enjoying visits there as often as possible!) it would seem to be a wrong direction (sorry) to follow as "Botanical" is spelled with only a single letter N

Edit: Ah ... posted same time as Lumphammer's comment :)

Right, I am going to post under this thread, as it has the right heading...
This photo is from 1960's - I am assuming it is Brum as it is of me, with a schoolfriend and mom and brother!! She has no idea where it was taken , neither does my brother!View attachment 174638
Two photo's cleaned up a little, regards, John.

Attachments

• Clean _ 06 Nov 22.jpg
    Clean _ 06 Nov 22.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 13
  • High St Birmingham.jpg
    High St Birmingham.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 13
the elephant? Now that I have more information, I think I'll speak to my brother about it (he seems to remember things better from long ago!) That won't be for another week - so watch this space!!

Back