• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What went into the dustbin?

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
We were getting our recycling(plastic,cans,paper,glass) ready to go to the centre and my husband remarked that years ago people had one metal dustbin and ,even in his house with 6 kids, that was all that was needed.
Ashes from the fire went on the garden,scraps of food ,and in those days there were not many ,went on the compost heap,milk was in returnable bottles,anything burnable went on the back of the fire. So what went into the dustbin.

Those metal bins must have been heavy and lifted by one man on to the cart.Health and safety would have a fit nowadays.

A good post Alberta I was only comenting to my husband the other day while rinsing out bottles to go in the recycling. A few years ago bottles would have been re used for other things. Plastic cartons became jewellery boxes, pencil boxes,somewhere to keep cottons etc. Sadly we live in a throw away society now. Last Christmas I covered a container that had cheese footballs in it. I use it all the time for keeping pens and pencils in. It was so nice doing it, it reminded me of when my lads were young we would do things like this all the time.

I was reading about the Conference on Global Warming attended by delegates in Bali. It would appear that the World Wildlife Trust sent 30 delegates alone! Why would you need 30 delegates from one organisation?
All those people flying into Bali from all corners of the world. What price Global Warming now? Why Bali? One wonders how many would have sent delegates to somewhere like a cold, wet and windy Blackpool or Azerberkhan?
Also, until America and China sign up, everyone else's efforts seem to pale into insignificance.
Needless to say, I still recycle everything possible, or find a new use for it.
Every little helps - even Tesco say that...hahahah. So, no doubt, they'll reduce their packaging....yeah, right!
A rant that's a little off thread, sorry!

I can only remember the ashes from the fire and tin cans going in our dustbin. Of course, in winter ashes from the fire would be used to de-ice the path between the back door and the outside khazi. :redface:

There was nothing like a real fire is there, we sat there while mom done the toast used butter then,not these spread's you get now,there wasn't much in the bin's everything now is over packaged,look at the milk in supermarkets we only had milk in bottles that were returnable.

It certainly makes you think about what went into those cans. In the winter it would have been newspapers if you took them on a daily basis like we did but in the winter all the newspaper went up the chimney lighting the coal fires.
Tin cans and some packaging. We used to get tins like Quality Street from our grocer on Stockland Green, Mr. Trappett. We would put a request in for a large tin and he would save it for us when the sweets had all been sold.

Still have a Coal Fire and use Newspapers, always use Butter Stork only for cakes, Two I made yesterday a Mixed Fruit and Plain, lovely grub.By the way they are nearly gone.:)

I am surprised that no one has called the bin a Miskin yet although this name has been used elsewhere on here. Yes ashes and food waste; less packaging as stated. Not many would have a compost I think and I don't believe our bin ever became full. Used tea leaves never went in our bin though. Being avid anglers back then my dad used to keep a corner of the garden for the moist tea leaves. Mixed in with the soil, lots of worms were attracted to the spot. Maggits were the best bait though; wasp grubs being a bit of a tricky proposition.

Ashes and the odd Pineapple fruit and Evap' Milk cans... That's all we had back then!

Pom :angel:

Jennyann,a little off topic but did you know Mr. Trappetts son Kenny,a very talented pianist.

As a kid I always wondered why the dustmen tipped the contents of the bin into a small zinc bath, which they'd carry down the yard on their shoulders to tip into the truck. [And what about that for a long sentence? :(]

Olsin,

To save walking back up the entry with the empty bin. A big saving on shoe leather and tired legs by the end of the day.

Rupert

You would need to talk to the miskin king about that Percy Shurmer, he hated them.

pmc1947

Obvious when you think about it, innit? No wonder I never had any soles in me boots. :(

It would only work once, on the last house in the row. Unless you could do more than one dustbin at a time.

It worked all every time in posh areas where there were only two houses at the most up an entry.

pma1947

Pig bins.

:D Does anyone remember the pig bins?. My Uncle Fred used to keep pigs at the back of the old fire station that was in Perry Barr. Just down from Holdford Drive. We had a pony called Prince which was a ride and drive Pony. We would sit on the cart and collect the pigbin contents from caffe's as far afield as Handsworth. My favourite call was at Mr Minty's cafe in Franchise Street. He would always give us a cup of tea and a large lump of bread pudding. After dropping the rotting food of in the swill tank I would see to Prince and go home for a hot bath to get rid of the smell. Bye for now. Jean. :D Just found a photo of Prince and a pig in the background.

re dust bins

Alf, i have a coal fire but can not start it with news paper i have to use modern ways,The ashes go on the garden.not the dustbin,(you gannit)
peter martin

Alberta: I have only just read your message about Kenny Trappett. I can't say I ever met Kenny if he was George Trappett's son. There were a couple of Trappett families in business in the Stockland Green area decades ago.
One of the shops was a Newsagents and Stationers right on the Green, well on Slade Road. The grocery and greengrocery shop run by George and his wife was on Marsh Hill just passed Bleakhill Road. George had a son called Neville who sadly died when he was l8 years old.

Great to hear about Kenny. What kind of music does he play?

Jean: I loved the story about those long ago days and the pig bins. The photo is very special. There were many more service horses around in those days.
The milkman, the bread man, the rag and bone man, the greengrocery man who came around every week with his cart and horse. Then, they were all gone. Great memories though.

Re The Dustbin

Hello.I found this years ago in a skip.with loads of films,they have long since gone sadly. pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Back