• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What went into the dustbin?

My grandad Taplin.

:DHi Jen. This is a photo of my moms dad. He was a milkman in Cubbington and the horse in the picture was his own. I think maybe this is where my love for them came from?. Bye for now. Jean.:D

A couple of nice photos there Jean. If we get any more wheelie bins i,m going to have to apply to the council for more ground to park them, every one up our road has two plus a dustbin when you drive up the street they look horrible in the drives.Dek

Re: My grandad Taplin.

:DHi Jen. This is a photo of my moms dad. He was a milkman in Cubbington and the horse in the picture was his own. I think maybe this is where my love for them came from?. Bye for now. Jean.:D

Our milkman had the same Jean in Aston and is name was Mr Yoeman we lived at 6 Back of 289 Newtown Row and he lived in the 289 but we still had to take Moms White Milk Jug to bed filled

Your nan lived in a posh place, didn't she Jean? You'd be lucky to see a wall like that with all the bricks in down our end.
casse-mur-briques.gif

Paul that's the lady from the end house and she had the outside toilets next door to her. The pigbins were at the top of the yard by Mr Minty's cafe.

Still posh though, innit? I recall the words "Keep away plague" being inscribed on the outside wall of our house in Wellington Street. I have no idea when it was painted as it was there for as long as anybody could remember. The amazing thing being that anyone in Winson Green could spell "plague".
signquestion3xd.gif

Re what went into our dustbins, this is my Mom in her little general shop you can see the food in tins that folks bought, she opened in 1929 & closed 1966 she would have been about 68 yrs young, the other photo is when she was eighteen. Len.

Last edited:
Jean, It was the front room of our terrace house converted into shop in a road near the Swan, Yardley. Len.

Re what went into our dustbins, this is my Mom in her little general shop you can see the food in tins that folks bought, she opened in 1929 & closed 1966 she would have been about 68 yrs young, the other photo is when she was eighteen. Len. Sorry folks having trouble with photos. Len.

Last edited:
Alberta: I have only just read your message about Kenny Trappett. I can't say I ever met Kenny if he was George Trappett's son. There were a couple of Trappett families in business in the Stockland Green area decades ago.
One of the shops was a Newsagents and Stationers right on the Green, well on Slade Road. The grocery and greengrocery shop run by George and his wife was on Marsh Hill just passed Bleakhill Road. George had a son called Neville who sadly died when he was l8 years old.

Great to hear about Kenny. What kind of music does he play?

Sadly he died in 1989

Pig bins.

:D Does anyone remember the pig bins?. My Uncle Fred used to keep pigs at the back of the old fire station that was in Perry Barr. Just down from Holdford Drive. We had a pony called Prince which was a ride and drive Pony. We would sit on the cart and collect the pigbin contents from caffe's as far afield as Handsworth. My favourite call was at Mr Minty's cafe in Franchise Street. He would always give us a cup of tea and a large lump of bread pudding. After dropping the rotting food of in the swill tank I would see to Prince and go home for a hot bath to get rid of the smell. Bye for now. Jean. :D Just found a photo of Prince and a pig in the background.
I was brought up in Sutton Coldfield in the 1950s and we had a pig bin that was collected every week.

If you think back to the old days the good old dustbin men ,had the hard job of emtying
To galvanised binns one for swill and one for ash noe of this rubbish you get today
By the moderen bin men wont get there hands dirty,now will they
They moan about the plastic bags being to Heavvy or not tied up or wrong contents in the bag
Or its not a council bag one of each or its left and do not take it away
They find the job to heavvy going
If they done what the old council workers done humping up and down those back house asnd huge terraces
Of houses with the swill and ash bins which was heavby without the contents
They would no about it rather moani g aboutpicking up plastic bags
And of course the smell,,,,,, Astonian,,,,,

I know our dustbin was rarely full when collected. Don't remember what exactly went into it. But I vividly remember throwing tea leaves and peelings out into the garden. And we used the ashes from the fire on the garden path in winter if it was icy. I think the ashes also went into the garden in summer if we'd had a fire. Newspapers were used to light fires. Some magazines we posted to our family abroad and comics went to other families. I suppose our bin must have mainly contained tins and jars. Viv.

Back