• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What Was The Fleet Number of the tram?

horsencart

master brummie
Does anyone know the fleet number of the remains of the lower deck of the Birmingham Corporation Tram
that could be found near to the clock? pub on the Coventry Rd near to the airport,

I visited the tram a couple of times and took a small number of photos the plan is to put them on the interweb soon I believe the remains were taken away some years ago, it would to much hope that it was saved many thanks

It would be interesting if the remains of the car were still extant, but from your post it seems unlikely. But you never know - someone might surprise us with information. ;)

Incidentally it usual to call trams by car number not fleet. In fact some bus companies still referred to their bus numbers as car numbers. Western/Southern National certainly did and probably did so until they were merged with the BET companied forming the NBC. (Which, to me, was viewed as a disaster) ;)

Car was an Americanism that came into use in the early days of trams and therefore had general acceptance as there was no other word in use in English at the time. On the railways car was normaly used only in the term Dining Car but I think it is now becoming more common particularly when talking about a train being made up of say a three car set.

From memory it was car 147, and had been the last car to Dudley via Oldbury when that route was converted to buses. It was dismantled on site and the remains taken to Aston Manor Transport Museum to help with the restoration of a similar car there. I don't know how much survives now though.

Many thanks Lloyd

All I have to do is edit the photos and then put them on Interweb, now where did I put them ?

From memory it was car 147, and had been the last car to Dudley via Oldbury when that route was converted to buses. It was dismantled on site and the remains taken to Aston Manor Transport Museum to help with the restoration of a similar car there. I don't know how much survives now though.

Back