• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What type of motor cycle?

Panther were motorcycles produced between 1904 and 1968. The company began in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire, as Phelon and Moore. The restored one above was built in 1938, but re-registered March 1998 (FXA is one of several "age related" plates issued by the DVLA to old vehicles restored for road use that have lost their original registrations). Looks a very nice rebuild!

British-bred Royal Enfield speeding ahead in Asia
i have a friend in brum who has bought one. he is a menber of B.O.F.C. he keeps telling me too get another bike. i tell him no i am too old now. he said we can put stabaliser wheels on the back. :grinning:

i have a friend in brum who has bought one. he is a menber of B.O.F.C. he keeps telling me too get another bike. i tell him no i am too old now. he said we can put stabaliser wheels on the back. :grinning:

hey Pete, I just felt for Brum and started the forum and the Transport pages and (of course) ended up with Motobikes and was surprised and glad to find your traces (Spuren) here too, great man! Did you buy this indian Enfield yet? Hope you did, if necessary, get em stabilisers (is that something to add on so the bike cannot fall to the sides? I guess I drove bikes like this in the late 40ies or early 50ies, but don´t remember). I ´d like to say (write) something now but don ´t know if this is okay within the forum as it is more a personal message for you but also I do not want to litter up these pages.

So,
it must have been in 1973 when I was finally ready for a motorbike and somehow met Mr. Hall´s (of Bromsgrove) son in a garage he had under these arches out of Snow Hill Station and finally this let me to buy a 1968 175 Parilla at Mr. Hall´s place in Bromsgrove for 30 quit (!). As I only had a tourist visa then and not being resident in the UK and at the same time being terribly in love with Lynette who lived in Kings Heath the bike was registered under her name and I became a member of the West Bromich Building Society who insured the bike but I may be that company was called somewhat else. However, the she was properly insured. We hit the road and didn´t have an accident the following weeks but unfortunatelly something happened to the (wonderful) bike and it broke near Cardiff. Luckyly we found a garage to repair it but she never got ready and after endless phone calls from Germany I gave her up and man, I so very much regret that to this very day. All I still have are the documents and 3 photos.

But I wanted to say something else really. Oh ja, British bikes, Birmingham bikes, BSA, Norton, especially Norton, as I love their Schriftzug (logo), I started to feel that I need a 850 Commando after all these years, but luckyly haven´t got round to get one yet as I fear that it is too late for that. What a pitty. I never had an English Lady ( I sencerely hope this expression is not frauenfeindlich (!) (and I hope Lyn the staff Baronesse of Aston is forgiving me if my words are rude, but they are not at all ment to be so!). Anyway, let´s come back to these bikes. I do not really need a Norton as I would not sell the DUC, another one of my "first" bikes, a 450 Scrambler which was in bits and pices for many years (30, 35?) and I only did her up some 3 years ago when I felt if not now, then never. She runs well but loves to kick back so bevore the Norton I was thinking seriously of an electro started MV Agusta 650 but decided not to as the bike is left hand geared. But you can only ride one anyway. Still......

I better stop now, it is getting too much. Watch out for Corona, I am serious!

With best wishes, Ole

P.S. Sorry for screwing up original yellow / black Scrambler into "The Green Onion"

Would you have Commando or Goldie to sell?

Attachments

• DUC LH.jpg
    DUC LH.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • DUC RH.jpg
    DUC RH.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • Bild0026b.jpg
    Bild0026b.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 21
hey Pete, I just felt for Brum and started the forum and the Transport pages and (of course) ended up with Motobikes and was surprised and glad to find your traces (Spuren) here too, great man! Did you buy this indian Enfield yet? Hope you did, if necessary, get em stabilisers (is that something to add on so the bike cannot fall to the sides? I guess I drove bikes like this in the late 40ies or early 50ies, but don´t remember). I ´d like to say (write) something now but don ´t know if this is okay within the forum as it is more a personal message for you but also I do not want to litter up these pages.

So,
it must have been in 1973 when I was finally ready for a motorbike and somehow met Mr. Hall´s (of Bromsgrove) son in a garage he had under these arches out of Snow Hill Station and finally this let me to buy a 1968 175 Parilla at Mr. Hall´s place in Bromsgrove for 30 quit (!). As I only had a tourist visa then and not being resident in the UK and at the same time being terribly in love with Lynette who lived in Kings Heath the bike was registered under her name and I became a member of the West Bromich Building Society who insured the bike but I may be that company was called somewhat else. However, the she was properly insured. We hit the road and didn´t have an accident the following weeks but unfortunatelly something happened to the (wonderful) bike and it broke near Cardiff. Luckyly we found a garage to repair it but she never got ready and after endless phone calls from Germany I gave her up and man, I so very much regret that to this very day. All I still have are the documents and 3 photos.

But I wanted to say something else really. Oh ja, British bikes, Birmingham bikes, BSA, Norton, especially Norton, as I love their Schriftzug (logo), I started to feel that I need a 850 Commando after all these years, but luckyly haven´t got round to get one yet as I fear that it is too late for that. What a pitty. I never had an English Lady ( I sencerely hope this expression is not frauenfeindlich (!) (and I hope Lyn the staff Baronesse of Aston is forgiving me if my words are rude, but they are not at all ment to be so!). Anyway, let´s come back to these bikes. I do not really need a Norton as I would not sell the DUC, another one of my "first" bikes, a 450 Scrambler which was in bits and pices for many years (30, 35?) and I only did her up some 3 years ago when I felt if not now, then never. She runs well but loves to kick back so bevore the Norton I was thinking seriously of an electro started MV Agusta 650 but decided not to as the bike is left hand geared. But you can only ride one anyway. Still......

I better stop now, it is getting too much. Watch out for Corona, I am serious!

With best wishes, Ole

P.S. Sorry for screwing up original yellow / black Scrambler into "The Green Onion"

Would you have Commando or Goldie to sell?
thanks for interesting post. no i dont have a bike yet, i had a comando yrs ago. wish i still had it. i dont like l/h gears but thats all they do now. i dont think "Lyn the staff Baronesse of Aston" will mind:grinning::grinning:
take care.and hope you find what your looking for.

Back