• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What regiment was my father-in-Law in.

aggyann10

proper brummie kid
We. have recently obtained my father-in-Laws army service records. I have looked over them and although there appears to be a lot of information, i cant seem to find out what regiment he was in. From what i understand he left the army then re-joined. His numbers were T180446. no 11 centre . ARO No 60 recruiting centre Smethwick. Another number is 22212465. Royal signals. Can anyone help me please. I am trying to get more information but unless i know which regiment he served in ,i am finding things difficult. His name is Dennis David Downing D.O.B ..9.6.22. We also have a great uncle who was killed in Flanders His Name is Alfred Downing number 44344. We do not know much about him at all. I would be obliged if anyone could help me . Photo's would be a bonus.
Many thanks Eileen

I suspect the first Number with an alphabetic pre-fix, was either RAF or Navy, 22 numbers were after WW2, and were army numbers. if you write to the:

Royal Signals Museum.
Blandford Camp
Dorset
DT11 8RH
You will be able to assertain his full military background including where he served before. Paul

Name:
Alfred Edward Downing
Birth Place:
Smethwick
Residence:
Smethwick
Death Date:
8 Aug 1918
Death Place:
France and Flanders
Enlistment Place:
Walsall