• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What rank is this relative?

Frank Parker

https://frankparker.website
Can anyone tell me what rank (my Nan Parker's Brother!) Thomas Percival Jnr is please by this photo? :rolleyes:

The photo does not seem to show any stripes so he could be a Private, Sapper, Trooper or Gunner, he is wearing the battledress blouse of the start of WW2, i am sure members will add more info. Len.

Enlarged the image somewhat and the name on the shoulder (Epaulet?) ends in LANCE ?( I think,) Ambulance? could possibly be Ordnance?

Not really sure as the larger the image goes the fuzzier it becomes.

dib44, Was`nt the shoulder badge of the Royal Army Ordnance Corp just the capital letters ie, R.A.O.C? & the medical corp R.A.M.C?. Len.

Len, sincere apologies, but I just do not know :)

I am (almost) sure it ends in ANCE it also looks to be two words with the
second word being around 7 letters long.

Perhaps someone with better eyes than I have can enlarge the image and get a better focus on the last word or title?

Just sorry I cannot be more helpful

Dibs.

To be honest i don't have much of a clue, just tried to enhance it in the hope it would make it easier for those that do. It obviously has a crease running along it casting a shadow and disfiguring the letters, as to what it says, i wouldn't even hazard a guesse and leave to those who know more than i do

bren

Lloyd i agree it is Reconnaissance, could bluebrummie tell us if his g/uncle is alive and sadly not RIP & was he demobbed after WW2?. Len.

Hi bluebrummie there was Canadian units called FIELD AMBULANCE they were part of the Canadian army medical system for transporting the wounded soldiers.there were some 20canadian general hospitals attached to several army formations.No 1. Canadian general hospital opened in 1941 near Birmingham with some 600 beds,it was moved in 1943 to ITALY.perhaps he was attached to them i found this info on GOOGLE , i searched for (medical regiments ending in lance ) it was the 4/5th one down on page 2 sorry i couldn't attach the site but I'm struggling with my new VISTA system . i hope this isn't a wrong steer for you but the lance part fits with a genuine CORPS/REGIMENT

www.junobeach.org./e/4/can-tac page2, 4/5 one down

cheers33bus tom:)

I'm certainly not a military expert, and its possible that different units varied there epaulets, but I have a number of, in most cases indistinct photos of members of the 23rd Canadian air ambulance in the 3 years before D-day. Where epaulets can be seen they all seem to just have CANADA , with some sort of indistinct square patch below. Its very indistinct i know, but they all seem the same in that unit
Mike

canadian_field_ambulance.jpg

bluebrummie has given no indication that his g/uncle was any thing other than a good British Brummie, i think that the Canadian Forces are a no,no, the battledress blouse worn by his g/uncle is British Army issue, made of thick cloth and poorly tailored, when bluebrummie gets his g/uncles service records all questions will be answered. Len.

I tend to agree you Len. I went to that site you told me about and it asks me to download a form to ask for details. The only problem is I don't know as much as they are asking for and they want permission of a living relative. The only one I know I could get is his only remaining living relative, his Sister who is, I believe, 96!! I will have to contact her Daughter and ask if it's ok. :)

Back