• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What rank is this relative?

Hi bluebrummie there was Canadian units called FIELD AMBULANCE they were part of the Canadian army medical system for transporting the wounded soldiers.there were some 20canadian general hospitals attached to several army formations.No 1. Canadian general hospital opened in 1941 near Birmingham with some 600 beds,it was moved in 1943 to ITALY.perhaps he was attached to them i found this info on GOOGLE , i searched for (medical regiments ending in lance ) it was the 4/5th one down on page 2 sorry i couldn't attach the site but I'm struggling with my new VISTA system . i hope this isn't a wrong steer for you but the lance part fits with a genuine CORPS/REGIMENT

www.junobeach.org./e/4/can-tac page2, 4/5 one down

cheers33bus tom:)

I'm certainly not a military expert, and its possible that different units varied there epaulets, but I have a number of, in most cases indistinct photos of members of the 23rd Canadian air ambulance in the 3 years before D-day. Where epaulets can be seen they all seem to just have CANADA , with some sort of indistinct square patch below. Its very indistinct i know, but they all seem the same in that unit
Mike

canadian_field_ambulance.jpg

bluebrummie has given no indication that his g/uncle was any thing other than a good British Brummie, i think that the Canadian Forces are a no,no, the battledress blouse worn by his g/uncle is British Army issue, made of thick cloth and poorly tailored, when bluebrummie gets his g/uncles service records all questions will be answered. Len.

I tend to agree you Len. I went to that site you told me about and it asks me to download a form to ask for details. The only problem is I don't know as much as they are asking for and they want permission of a living relative. The only one I know I could get is his only remaining living relative, his Sister who is, I believe, 96!! I will have to contact her Daughter and ask if it's ok. :)

Back