• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What Price Your House 1938

I remember my mother saying that there was some family connection between our family and that Mackay and that there was some scandal, dishonesty on the Mackay side. :(

What a Bargain
What a great post. I saw that houses in Sheldon were being advertised on the Elms estate. My uncle and his wife bought their first house in Chaffacombe Road around this time and I think he was the first person in a very large family to own his own home. I wonder if it was one of these houses?

I understood that my then newly wed parents considered buying a house in the estate between Bilton Grange and Cockshut Hill in 1939 for £400, or thereabouts, but with war imminent they rejected the idea. Currently selling for around £200K.

Last edited:
My father wouldn't take on a mortgage when they had their first (and only) house because of the dodgy employment situation at the time, he'd finished an apprenticeship but couldn't get work in his chosen trade.

They rented from the Birmingham council, a house that probably cost less than a couple of hundred quid to build.

They paid for that house over and over again until it was returned to the council when old age and death removed their need for it.

Back